SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
jennjenn

Re: SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Post by jennjenn »

pls wrote:Or are we dealing with a Ukrainian peasant in a cellar somewhere, being offered a potato for every 100 successful spamregs?

I have a feeling that I'm just entertaining that Ukranian peasant. May the cellar walls fall in on him!

Seriously - can't we have the same stop-'em-dead textual confirmation mod made available to us as we did under 2.x.x? Or can it be had ONLY for a price?
LOL, I would like to throw a potato at him. :twisted: I will pay a price if these spammers will go away!!! I just added all of the emails/ip's to the banned list (thanks Pond Life) so we will see how much this helps.

Quixote Kid

Re: SPAM registrations after upgrading to 3.0.4

Post by Quixote Kid »

James N wrote:Try the Prime Anti spam mod (mirrored on my website) and/or set a moderation queue so that all new members first post(s) have to be approved.
How do you do this?

Can you also make it so that all the posts have to be approved for new members?

Definate newbie here...thanks for the help.

James N

Re: SPAM registrations after upgrading to 3.0.4

Post by James N »

Quixote Kid wrote:
James N wrote:Try the Prime Anti spam mod (mirrored on my website) and/or set a moderation queue so that all new members first post(s) have to be approved.
How do you do this?

Can you also make it so that all the posts have to be approved for new members?

Definate newbie here...thanks for the help.
How to install a MOD.

ACP>post settings>enable queued posts

CTCNetwork

Post by CTCNetwork »

Hi,

It would also be good, perhaps, to set a limit on accounts remaining as being un-activated. A time limit I mean.

So if an account is not activated (whether by admin or self via the email link) the account is automatically deleted - or better banned by user name, IP and email address.

All forums have an admin contact address and should a real genuine person inadvertently forget to activate their account (and it is then banned completely) they user can mail the forum admin mail to explain. Bots can't do that! And it is only a matter of a minute to unban that user.

Just a silly idea.

But I have noticed that there has been a deluge of bot registrations recently. Must be the economic downturn!!

Des. . . ;)
Density:- Not just a measurement~Its a whole way of Life.! ! !
Uninvited PM's are Deleted. Uninvited IM's - You get a warning - and get blocked. Capiche?

exlarneman

Post by exlarneman »

Hello One and All,

Is this a genuine site? According to my logs it visits my site regularly.

WakameCrawler/0.01(+http://help.goo.ne.jp/door/crawler.html)

greetings

L

PS: My site is for those interested in Irish Genealogy. Average Users was 3 Registered and about 10 guests a day. Now 4 Registered and 130 guests a day.
Last edited by exlarneman on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pls

Post by pls »

JamesN, I certainly did miss - and still didn't locate - the mod you refer to in the first post. I did click on the URL listed in one of your posts, trolled through your website (Sr. Cebolla, in Spanish, right, to keep bots from scanning my post and accessing it?), and downloaded <<Prime_LinksNOSPAM.zip>> which I'll send to our administrator who can access code on our site and see if he can use it.

We already have all regs sent to my e-mail address for approval - they're driving me wacko - and that's why I want spambots stopped dead at the site. The good news is that after four hours and three custom fields in place I haven't seen any spamregs. Yet. Pray for me, and pass the spud gun.

ChrisRLG

Post by ChrisRLG »

exlarneman wrote:Hello One and All,

Is this a genuine site? According to my logs it visits my site regularly.

WakameCrawler/0.01(+http://help.goo.ne.jp/door/crawler.html)

greetings

L
No idea - it is a japanese site - so unless you can read that langiage you would not be able to tell.

It might well be a search engine.

NoDeity

Post by NoDeity »

For various reasons, we allow guest posting on our board. I've enabled visual confirmation for guest postings but they're getting through anyway.

Here are the CAPTCHA settings I'm using right now:

Enable visual confirmation for guest postings = Yes
GD CAPTCHA = Yes
GD CAPTCHA foreground noise = Yes
GD CAPTCHA background noise x-axis = 9
GD CAPTCHA background noise y-axis = 9

I just downloaded the Prime Anti-bot MOD and I'll give it a try.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Banning by IP address is a very bad idea. I've been to more than one site where my IP address was already banned (which I had never accessed before).

IP address banning does not stop spam, they just use proxies and other IP addresses. IP address banning only affects legitimate people trying to access the site.

Hythshade

Post by Hythshade »

Does anyone know of a mod that makes a 1 post rule before you can post a link. In other words the user has to post at least one post without links before they can post any links at all. I believe I had that on my old forum, but I can't remember if it was available for phpbb3 or not. That always seemed to work.

The spam has hit me suddenly over the last 2 weeks. Before that I had no problems.