SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Locked
User avatar
3Di
Registered User
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:50 pm
Location: Milano (I) Frankfurt (D)
Contact:

Re: SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Post by 3Di »

Coolzero wrote:
3Di wrote: Here's a log:
ttestermanes - Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:36 pm - jcowan3325@gmail.com - 194.8.75.157 - Timezone UTC -12 hours
casino - Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 pm - main1234@gawab.com - 89.149.227.65 - Timezone UTC -12 hours
Anutochka - Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:05 pm - imalodurinfapyj@mail.ru - 72.9.100.76 - Timezone UTC -12 hours
naporgohokkap - Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:57 pm - maxgeorg-cheap@yahoo.co.uk - 61.116.180.130 - Timezone UTC -12 hours
shonaallobe - Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:31 am - seitodawabdobtt@gmail.com - 213.79.86.50 - Timezone UTC -12 hours
LaummogsDug - Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:56 am - biribiska@gmail.com - 208.88.120.85 - Timezone UTC -12 hours
Qetiduwexn - Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:09 am - fudidadd@thequarterwit.com - 194.8.75.163 - Timezone UTC -12 hours
Dibessehece - Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:50 am - spubbitusia@gmail.com - 92.48.193.55 - Timezone UTC -12 hours
kayakstaw - Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:29 am - ownernall@gmail.com - 193.109.248.82 - Timezone UTC -12 hours
CheappOemSoftwware - Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:45 pm - oem2@accommodationmalta.info - 194.8.75.109 - Timezone UTC -12 hours
LOL, I had those same users
Well, it's time to implement the MOD I have the link in my signature. It will stop all of those. :)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

bbrunnrman
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:18 am

Re: SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Post by bbrunnrman »

There seems to be confusion about getting the Custom profile fields to work. Part of the confusion is probably because the screen captures in the Knowledge Base article currently at http://phpbbcom.phpbbservice.nl/kb/arti ... -tool.html (and analogous page that's been on phpbb.com) don't show correct visibility settings. Here are corrected screen captures which can replace corresponding versions in the Knowledge Base article:
dropdown_example.jpg
(64.35 KiB) Downloaded 734 times
numbers_example.jpg
(57.01 KiB) Downloaded 731 times
On my board, I noticed a bot registration on January 24. I added a custom field (a variant of the numbers version) on Jan 25, and haven't seen any more (successful) bot registrations since then, although our server log shows many examples of unsuccessful bot registrations.

tffnguy
Registered User
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:13 am

Re: SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Post by tffnguy »

Thanks to James N I finally got mine to work, but they don't work like I thought they would. I can live with it though and open my board back up to Registration by Admin. At least if the spam bots get smart enough to quit using the info that one person keeps posting on here to push their MOD I'll still be able to pick out the bot registrations. :roll:
Plano, Texas

User avatar
pmbinky
Registered User
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:54 am
Location: Suburb of Detroit
Contact:

Re: SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Post by pmbinky »

tffnguy wrote:Thanks to James N I finally got mine to work, but they don't work like I thought they would. I can live with it though and open my board back up to Registration by Admin. At least if the spam bots get smart enough to quit using the info that one person keeps posting on here to push their MOD I'll still be able to pick out the bot registrations. :roll:
He is pushy ain't he ... :D
blessings,
Tony <><

User avatar
ChrisRLG
Registered User
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:47 am
Contact:

Re: SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Post by ChrisRLG »

bbrunnrman wrote:There seems to be confusion about getting the Custom profile fields to work. Part of the confusion is probably because the screen captures in the Knowledge Base article currently at http://phpbbcom.phpbbservice.nl/kb/arti ... -tool.html (and analogous page that's been on phpbb.com) don't show correct visibility settings. Here are corrected screen captures which can replace corresponding versions in the Knowledge Base article:
dropdown_example.jpg
numbers_example.jpg
On my board, I noticed a bot registration on January 24. I added a custom field (a variant of the numbers version) on Jan 25, and haven't seen any more (successful) bot registrations since then, although our server log shows many examples of unsuccessful bot registrations.
That is because they have changed how that function works since the article was writen.

Note the following from my screen shot
Required field:
Force profile field to be filled out or specified by user. This will display the profile field at registration and within the user control panel.
- and from yours.

Required field:
Force profile field to be filled out by user or adminstrator. If display at registration screen option is disabled, the field will only be required when the user edits their profile.

I will get those screen shots updated once phpBB.com is back online.

bjfr33man
Registered User
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:33 am

Re: SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Post by bjfr33man »

for those that can block IP's
there is class C block of spam bots that hit my forums every 4 min.
194.8.75
for apache servers just do a deny from 194.8.75
in a .htacess file.
they will get a 403 (forbiden error) and it saves bandwidth.
this month so far 8K + 403.

JustaFriend
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:59 am

Re: SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Post by JustaFriend »

By the way, I found an older copy of their 'spam tool' on the 'net: Tool name removed

Even that ancient copy from Sept '07 knew how to bypass all of the simple "Are You Human" questions in several different languages, and one can only presume that the current (much newer) version has included ALL of them that they knew about as of last Summer. They appear to be very thorough at their 'craft'. I've tried to find a copy of the current version of that piece of nastiness, but to no avail.

In looking at it's code, it could answer all of the simple '4-banger' math questions. I wouldn't bother with those.

edit: Don't be a fool; anyone asking for the file will immediately be killfiltered. I'll pass the link along to the Admin(s) here and that's IT.
Last edited by ckwalsh on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tool name removed

e-lemon-ator
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:24 pm

Re: SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Post by e-lemon-ator »

I know this is very basic stuff..... but

By removing the forum link to register, would this help?

Or changing the file name of the registeration page, would this help?

I'm thinking of removing the 'to register' link, and having a link to a cgi questionnaire form. Would this stop the spammers? I've also picked up a nasty troll who keeps trying to register - a form may give me more opportunity to flush him out.

As you can see, I'm no programmer, but thanks for your patience!

NoDeity
Registered User
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:16 pm

Re: SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Post by NoDeity »

e-lemon-ator wrote:I know this is very basic stuff..... but

By removing the forum link to register, would this help?

Or changing the file name of the registeration page, would this help?

I'm thinking of removing the 'to register' link, and having a link to a cgi questionnaire form. Would this stop the spammers? I've also picked up a nasty troll who keeps trying to register - a form may give me more opportunity to flush him out.

As you can see, I'm no programmer, but thanks for your patience!
I installed the Prime Anti-bot MOD a couple of days ago and it was like the spam tap was simply turned off. As mentioned in the first post in this thread, you can get it here: http://www.absoluteanime.com/admin/mods.htm#anti-bot

e-lemon-ator
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:24 pm

Re: SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Post by e-lemon-ator »

Thank you - would this mod work okay with version 3.01?

I'm thinking of updating to version 3.04 from scratch, then reloading the mods I have when the phpBB site is up and running again.

Locked