SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
tffnguy

Re: SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Post by tffnguy »

And how is your nifty MOD going to work when they change that hardwired timezone to something else or have it become random to? :roll:
Plano, Texas

pmbinky

Post by pmbinky »

howard_hopkinso wrote:Yes, I know what you mean mate, as I have quite a lot of older members on my forums too.

The new captcha software I installed uses pictures, rather than text and therefore is easier for people to see, but harder for spambots to break.

If you'd like to go and check it out, here is a link to my site. Just click register/I agree and you will see the new captcha I installed. Obviously you don't actually have to register, unless of course you wanted lol.

http://www.wighexpressions.org/phpBB3/index.php
Maybe I'll try the pictures if the AntiBotQuestion starts to get hacked. Hopefully I can choose my own pictures:
Identify the criminals
Which house would you rather have?
etc.

It's turning into Sesame Street - one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong.
blessings,
Tony <><

3Di

Post by 3Di »

tffnguy wrote:And how is your nifty MOD going to work when they change that hardwired timezone to something else or have it become random to? :roll:
Just start implementing it and report there, you'll see. :ugeek:
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

James N

Post by James N »

tffnguy wrote:For the time being I've disabled ALL new accounts. I hate to do that, but hay... the spam bots are driving me crazier than I already am. I may just post an image on my main site page saying registrations will only be allowed between 12:00 and 1:00 PM for my time zone for a while and if the people really want in then can do it then. I'll pass on the MODs and code changing. I also have a lot of older users so its tough enough to register as is.
Set a custom profile field with a 'what is a x b ' type question.

35 spambots yesterday, none today

No code changes needed

howard_hopkinso

Post by howard_hopkinso »

pmbinky wrote:
howard_hopkinso wrote:Yes, I know what you mean mate, as I have quite a lot of older members on my forums too.

The new captcha software I installed uses pictures, rather than text and therefore is easier for people to see, but harder for spambots to break.

If you'd like to go and check it out, here is a link to my site. Just click register/I agree and you will see the new captcha I installed. Obviously you don't actually have to register, unless of course you wanted lol.

http://www.wighexpressions.org/phpBB3/index.php
Maybe I'll try the pictures if the AntiBotQuestion starts to get hacked. Hopefully I can choose my own pictures:
Identify the criminals
Which house would you rather have?
etc.

It's turning into Sesame Street - one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong.
Yes, you can use your own pictures, in fact it is recommended that you do so in the mod instructions.

pmbinky

Post by pmbinky »

James N wrote:
tffnguy wrote:For the time being I've disabled ALL new accounts. I hate to do that, but hay... the spam bots are driving me crazier than I already am. I may just post an image on my main site page saying registrations will only be allowed between 12:00 and 1:00 PM for my time zone for a while and if the people really want in then can do it then. I'll pass on the MODs and code changing. I also have a lot of older users so its tough enough to register as is.
Set a custom profile field with a 'what is a x b ' type question.

No code changes needed
I tried putting all of those custom profile fields on there at once and they still got through, especially the dreaded Zambezi-bots.
blessings,
Tony <><

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

James N wrote:Set a custom profile field with a 'what is a x b ' type question.

No code changes needed
That's more or less what I've been trying to do, but the D@#N custom profile fields don't show up in registration and no one on here seems to be able to tell me why!
Plano, Texas

pmbinky

Post by pmbinky »

tffnguy wrote:
James N wrote:Set a custom profile field with a 'what is a x b ' type question.

No code changes needed
That's more or less what I've been trying to do, but the D@#N custom profile fields don't show up in registration and no one on here seems to be able to tell me why!
Did you make sure to set the visibility options when you created the profile fields?
visibility.png
(8.79 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
Last edited by pmbinky on Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blessings,
Tony <><

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

3Di wrote:Just start implementing it and report there, you'll see. :ugeek:
Thanks, but NO THANKS! :evil:
Plano, Texas

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

pmbinky wrote:Did you make sure to set the visibility options when you created them?
visibility.png
Yep I've tried all possible combinations including display in registration screen. It shows the normal fields only. It will show up in the user's profile, but not in the registration screen no matter how I have it set.
Plano, Texas