update question

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
jlsclarity

Re: update question

Post by jlsclarity »

there are two different ones there, I am assuming i need the first one?

Would you by any chance know someone who would set this up for me?
Last edited by darcie on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to remove solicitation

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

jlsclarity wrote:there are two different ones there, I am assuming i need the first one?

Would you by any chance know someone who would set this up for me?
Ok, sorry for all the confusion in this topic. Some of the posters are not reading the previous posts before they give you advice.

Since you are on a free forum host, you do not have access to the phpbb files to be able to make any changes.

The database backup you did from your admin panel, only backs up the database not the files.

Therefore, you will need to download a complete copy of phpbb 2.0.23 from here:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/phpbb/ ... g_mirror=0

Once you have that, you must install it on a hosting account that you own somewhere. You will need ftp access
to the server and be able to upload/download files etc.
You must be able to create a database on your account.
Once you have uploaded all the unzipped phpbb files to your server and created a new database, you can install phpbb as per the included instructions.

Once you have a brand new version of phpbb 2.0.23 installed on your server, you can then "import" the database backup that you made from your inventforum board to your new blank board.

Then, you can install phpbb 3.0.4 right beside phpbb 2.0.23 on your server.
You can use the same database with a different table prefix or create a new database for your phpbb3 install.

Once you have phpbb3 installed you can then convert your phpbb2 board to your phpbb3 board, saving all members, posts, forums, etc.
Information on how to convert from phpBB2 to phpBB3 is here.

Basically, you must have both phpBB2 and phpBB3 installed on the same server. After you have finished installing phpBB3 you will have the option to convert your phpBB2 board using the built in converter. The information it asks you for is related to the phpBB2 installation and can be found in its config.php file on the server. All of your users, posts, forums, PMs etc are converted. However, styles and MODs are not (with the exception of the birthday and attachment MODs which are supported by the converter). The phpBB2 database is not converted per se, it is merely read and converted/moved to the new phpBB3 database, so if it goes wrong your old board will not be affected at all. At the end of the conversion, once you're happy it's all working, your phpBB2 database and files can be backed up and removed if you so wish. They are not connected to the new installation in any way.
If you would like further help, you can PM me here.

robert
Last edited by darcie on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited quote

jlsclarity

Post by jlsclarity »

Thank you so much for this detailed reply. For the first time i feel like I may be able to do this myself...Lets see what i can do...

jlsclarity

Post by jlsclarity »

Ok, I have everything set up...Now all I have to do is edit my header in so the phpbb one goes away...can you tell me what my options are for this?

Can I only do the 139x52 one that is shown, or do I have the option for a larger one, and if so-how do i go about it?

Thanks so much for all your help on this it is very much appreciated! :D

Edit: Would also like to edit the color of certain text within a theme...It was easier to do this in 2.0, it seems - I cant figure out how to do that in 3.0!

Any tips on this?

James N

Post by James N »

Make your new logo file and save it as a gif, jpg or png file.

Upload it to your forum/styles/stylename/imagesets folder

Open
imageset/imageset.cfg

Find

Code: Select all

img_site_logo = site_logo.gif*52*139
and edit the logo name and dimensions accordingly.

Admin panel>styles>imagesets>refresh
Then hold shift and refresh your forum index.

Alternatively,
In the administration control panel select the styles tab
Then the imagesets option in the left menu
Now click edit next to the style you want to change.
Now you're ready to add your new logo image.
From the top dropdown box choose Main Logo and select
From the bottom dropdown box choose your logo file name
Enter the dimensions in the boxes provided and submit.
Now if you refresh your index page you'll see your new logo in place.

jlsclarity

Post by jlsclarity »

Thanks a LOT!

Does anyone know how to edit the color of the text of a category name? For example in the prosilver theme the category default color is white...I would liek it to be black...?

I also cannot for the life of me figure out how to post sticky's OR announcements! and there is no help menu for me to look that up (i know its something im probably overlooking!

Thanks a lot to everyone!

James N

Post by James N »

You need to give yourself permission to post announcements and stickies

Knowledge Base - phpBB3 Permissions

If you use Firefox, install firebug. It allows you to analyse stylesheets etc Makes life so much easier

jlsclarity

Post by jlsclarity »

wow. thanks for the for the stickies help! how can firebug help me? will that help me change and edit the colors of my forum text?

James N

Post by James N »

It lets you know what part of the code is used to make the element you want to change.

EG Prosilver Category titles are in styles/prosilver/theme/colours.css on line 254 (#search-box a:active)

jlsclarity

Post by jlsclarity »

Found it! Thanks James!

http://www.theyouthunited.com/forum/

The link above is to my forum.. I would like to get rid of the text at the top, and do it all with one image, however if I take that text out, the page has no title when someone saves it to their favorites, which i cannot have!

Alternately I would just at least want to be able to center that top text!

Can anyone help?

Thanks!