update question

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Re: update question

Post by Noxwizard »

jlsclarity wrote:Thank you nox...I apologize for the noobility. but i have a free version, and all is already online for me...do I need to have this on my own server? sounds like you gave a few extra steps - more than I am hip to :) I will do whatever is necessary
A free version? The software itself is free. Do you mean a free forum host? You will need file access to the 2.0.x board that you are wanting to upgrade.

jlsclarity

Post by jlsclarity »

Noxwizard wrote:
jlsclarity wrote:Thank you nox...I apologize for the noobility. but i have a free version, and all is already online for me...do I need to have this on my own server? sounds like you gave a few extra steps - more than I am hip to :) I will do whatever is necessary
A free version? The software itself is free. Do you mean a free forum host? You will need file access to the 2.0.x board that you are wanting to upgrade.

yes, through inventforum. Im looking to change my top header banner but i dont know how to access what is needed to change this. Should I try to upgrade and put the new one on my host? id also like to get rid of the ads, whats the best way to do this, what do you suggest?

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Post by Noxwizard »

Most free forum hosts don't give you file access, or database backups (some will for a fee), so upgrading the existing board may not be possible. Can you post a link to your current 2.0.x board?

jlsclarity

Post by jlsclarity »

http://theyouthunited.inventforum.com/index.php

I am able to backup and restore my database from here as well, it is an option on my admin panel.

If nothing else i would at least like to be able to change the header graphic! :)

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Post by Noxwizard »

I would imagine those features are actually disabled. To change the header, you need access to the /styles/ folder to modify the overall_header.tpl file. The fact that an free forum hosting service is so far behind in updates is disturbing. Depending on the age of your forum, it might be easier just to start a new one on your own web server.

jlsclarity

Post by jlsclarity »

Noxwizard wrote:I would imagine those features are actually disabled. To change the header, you need access to the /styles/ folder to modify the overall_header.tpl file. The fact that an free forum hosting service is so far behind in updates is disturbing. Depending on the age of your forum, it might be easier just to start a new one on your own web server.

I dont think theyre disabled...I dloaded the backup earlier, right before i posted to this forum.

Youre right though, I do think that is disturbing. i dont know if I can start from scratch tho!

What would I have to do to start new with the right version on my servers?

could i use the backup file that i have dloaded?

How much would you charge me to do it?

jlsclarity

Post by jlsclarity »

Any thoughts?

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Post by Noxwizard »

You will need to restore the backup on your server and point a phpBB2 install to that database. Then you would run the phpBB3 converter and point it to the phpBB2 board you just made. You can use a 2.0.23 file set, but you will need to run /install/update_to_latest.php after you import the database, so that it will be updated.

jlsclarity

Post by jlsclarity »

Noxwizard wrote:You will need to restore the backup on your server and point a phpBB2 install to that database. Then you would run the phpBB3 converter and point it to the phpBB2 board you just made. You can use a 2.0.23 file set, but you will need to run /install/update_to_latest.php after you import the database, so that it will be updated.
Thanks a lot. I appreciate your time. For the last question, where would i download that file set? when i go to Ohloh they only have the 3.02-3.03 and 3.03 to 3.04 dloads! I cannot find the right ones to use!

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Post by Noxwizard »