Registering for This Forum Itself

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
imkingdavid

Re: Registering for This Forum Itself

Post by imkingdavid »

The issue with changing the questions is that it can take a while to figure out a good question that cannot be easily Google'd (and to answer your question, yes, spam bots have been known to be able to discern the appropriate answer to anti-spam questions via Google). Also, I find it best if the questions used are applicable to the topic of the forum. You suggest that this forum is elitist, but that is simply not the case. Yes, there is a very narrow focus of the topic, but I do not think it would be too far fetched for someone who is interested in phpBB future development to know or at least be able to figure out with relative ease the code names of future versions.

And in response to the question asking for capital letters in "fPrpwH5e97egp5P7r", I don't see that as being overly difficult for a bot to figure out, tbh. I don't have much of any knowledge about how spam bots are written, but determining capitals in PHP is not that difficult. If you use some sort of AI to know what the question is looking for, this would be as simple as:

Code: Select all

// Code to figure out what the string in question in goes here
// $string = 'fPrpwH5e97egp5P7r';

// We can probably use some AI to determine from the question that we are looking for capitals
// And with that information, we can do the following to figure out which characters in the string are capitals.
$split_string = str_split($string);
$capitals = range('A', 'Z');
$answer_letters = array();
foreach($split_string as $letter)
{
    if (in_array($letter, $capitals))
    {
        $answer_letters[] = $letter;
    }
}

$answer = implode($answer_letters);
echo $answer; //PHP    
So basically as long as your spam bot can figure out what the question is asking for (capitals, lowercase, numbers, a question easily answered by google, etc.) it is pretty easy to find the answer.

In the end we're only trying to be exclusionary toward spam bots. Yes, a question might take a little while longer than one might like to find the answer, but at least that way we know you're human.

Of course, granted, eventually if a spam bot targets this board specifically (though I find it unlikely), it will be able to hard code the answers unless we periodically change them. If you have any suggestions for good anti-spam questions, you're welcome to share them.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

k0nsl wrote:
userwhoforums wrote: Sit the old lady from across the street down and ask her to try to register at this forum -- with no help.
You know, just because somebody is old doesn't necessarily mean they are suffering from degradation of intelligence.
But in the majority of cases, it does.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

callumacrae wrote:
k0nsl wrote:
userwhoforums wrote: Sit the old lady from across the street down and ask her to try to register at this forum -- with no help.
You know, just because somebody is old doesn't necessarily mean they are suffering from degradation of intelligence.
But in the majority of cases, it does.
You had better have just forgotten the smiley. :twisted: While it's possible that my intelligence has degraded from my personal peak, even at 53, I bet that I'm still more intelligent than most 20-somethings. :P

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

DionDesigns wrote:A person who cannot answer the Q&A questions here is most likely a spammer or in the wrong place. In fact, I suspect the vast majority of prospective non-spammer members know the answers without having to click on the links.
I disagree. I'm not sure how to spell "Ascraeus" without looking (I think that I got it right) and I can't remember off-hand what phpBB 3.2 is called even with the "Ar" hint. (And I have a great memory for trivia.)

Even if you try to claim that I'm in the "small minority" of members, I dispute that. How often is "Arsia" or "Rhea" mentioned on phpBB.com so that people coming from there would know it off-hand?

The questions here should be no more difficult than at phpBB.com, especially as this is the board that people get referred to if they have suggestions for improvements to phpBB.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.