Participating in Development

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
nick.anderegg

Participating in Development

Post by nick.anderegg »

I feel really stupid asking this, and it's probably not even the right place to ask it, but here goes:

What is the best way to familiarize yourself with the phpBB code? I kinda sorta did some phpBB tweaking and stuff a long time ago, and what back in phpBB 2, and I no longer remember how to do anything. I was trying to figure something out on a copy I pulled off the SVN, but the code was just so complex, I didn't know where to begin. How should I go about figuring out the inner workings of phpBB?

Thanks,

Nick

onehundredandtwo

Re: Participating in Development

Post by onehundredandtwo »

"Modding" is probably the best way to familiarise yourself with the code. There are a number of sites that help out with 'Modding. I also recommend getting used to the phpBB 'Modding forums, where you can ask questions and post "modifications", and the phpBB Wiki which I have always found helpful.
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

stickerboy

Post by stickerboy »

I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

As people have said, dive in. Also there are quite a few different sites around.

Most of the code is more self explanatory than I remember it being in 2.0, and it is easier to get the hang of, so it makes it easier to make MODs and changes.

And cherokee_red is correct. "EasyMOD" is now "AutoMOD". ;)
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Alan Mor

Post by Alan Mor »

excellent!! I'm digging in myself! Thanks!!