Best gaming Console?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Pit

Post by Pit »

Heh...I had a funny idea about dhn not being able to access my server...If I needed to get secret messages to everyone without dhn seeing them I could put them in my posts as images which are on my server, and since he uses mozilla he wouldn't see any red x...hehe, I could already have been doing it...mwahahahaha!

[img417ea]http://thesite.linux-dude.net/joking.gif[/img417ea] [img417ea]http://thesite.linux-dude.net/realidiot.gif[/img417ea] ;)

You know I'm just kidding. Sorry dhn :D
Last edited by Pit on Sun Dec 09, 2001 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 »

The Black Pit™ is a very idiotic [img3f93b]http://thesite.linux-dude.net/realidiot.gif[/img3f93b]®

scotshin7 is The Oppositeâ„¢.

:lol:
[edit]Fixed the "idiot" problem... Hehe[/edit]
Last edited by scotshin7 on Sun Dec 09, 2001 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Monkey see, monkey do!
Yet another signature ;)
Welcome to my world! :roll:
me = scotshin, The Universal Smartass™ :mrgreen:

Kanuck

Post by Kanuck »

[quote557df="Flex"]You want to hear a couple of clear arguments against the X-Box?

- Framerate
- Prize
- Corporate Politics
- Choice of games
- Prize
- Playstation 2
- GameCube

Oh, and Munch´s Odyssey is not an In-House-Title. As far as I know this time Microsoft didn´t even buy the developer for a change.[/quote557df]

Munch and Halo are first-party titles, I'm quite sure. Bungie and, uh, whatever company made Munch were bought by Microsoft. And of course, I'm sure somebody will pick on them because that's being monopolistic or something, but by comparison to EA, it's nothing. EA owns, like, 99% of the development houses these days, it's maddening... :)

Okay, and about those issues. Framerate, huh? It's the most powerful console of the three. Have you even heard what developers are saying about Xbox? "We ported our PS2 code over to Xbox, and within two weeks, it was running flawlessly... within four weeks, we had the frame rate locked to 60 FPS, while the PS2 could barely attain 30 FPS, and we're making this an Xbox-exclusive title, right now." I forget which game that happened with, it was a relatively large Japanese developer, I'm too tired to go searching on TXB.

Price? Umm, did you actually BUY a PS2? If yes, how much did you pay? $299 USD? Funny, that price sounds oddly familiar... :)

Corporate politics? Judge a console by its games, not by its makers! I hate Sony and Nintendo for their business strategies, too. They both try to strongarm stores into not carrying/badmouthing other consoles, they both like milking successful franchises for all they're worth, yet I still enjoy their consoles. If there was no Xbox, I'd buy a PS2. If there was no PS2 either, I'd get a GameCube. But knowing that a superior system is available, I wouldn't get either :)

I never said any of these other consoles sucked, I just said they weren't as good. When people consistently and mindlessly bash and slander something, it's typically out of fear, recognition of superiority, yada yada yada. GameCube and PS2 fans get so defensive, cuz they're starting to realize that their money may not have been as well spent as they thought... :)

And choice of games, another non-argument. Xbox had the biggest launch lineup of the big three, the most titles available at the Christmas holiday immediately after the launch, and they've got a whole crapload of developers, both companies that traditionally made console games, and companies making the jump from the PC, making tons more games.

Oh, and PSO, you're right, Xbox is a consolized PC... but then again, GameCube runs an IBM processor and an ATI graphics card... I mean, to some extent, they're all computers. You've just gotta draw the line somewhere. Microsoft may have used almost entirely PC components, but that's because, what have traditionally been more powerful? High-end consoles, or high-end PCs? So, why not just make a high-end PC, sell it cheap, and make some kick-ass games for it? It may not sound like an incredible business plan, but even though that's exactly what Microsoft did, it's working beautifully so far.
I rule.

Pit

Post by Pit »

See what I mean? He goes on forever about his precious xbox. It makes gamecube supporters cry themselves to sleep every night.

dhn

Post by dhn »

[quotecad76="The Black Pit"]
Heh...I had a funny idea about dhn not being able to access my server...If I needed to get secret messages to everyone without dhn seeing them I could put them in my posts as images which are on my server, and since he uses mozilla he wouldn't see any red x...hehe, I could already have been doing it...mwahahahaha!

[imgcad76]http://thesite.linux-dude.net/joking.gif[/imgcad76] [imgcad76]http://thesite.linux-dude.net/idiot.gif[/imgcad76] ;)

You know I'm just kidding. Sorry dhn :D
[/quotecad76]

;) And what if I was just lying to make[/sizecad76] you send secret messages and than I would read those and laugh maniacally ... buhahaha ... its working now BTW!

Pit

Post by Pit »

[img3e282]http://thesite.linux-dude.net/really.gif[/img3e282]
adfadfafsfsafsfsa

Pit

Post by Pit »

[quote0c9a2="scotshin7"]
The Black Pit™ is a very idiotic [img0c9a2]http://thesite.linux-dude.net/idiot.gif[/img0c9a2]®

scotshin7 is The Oppositeâ„¢.

:lol:
[/quote0c9a2]
Heh, learneth thee the perils of using images on my server... :lol: :D

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

[quote845da="Kanuck"]
Munch and Halo are first-party titles, I'm quite sure. Bungie and, uh, whatever company made Munch were bought by Microsoft.
[/quote845da]
Which still doesn't make them 'in-house' in my book ...
[quote845da="Kanuck"]
Okay, and about those issues. Framerate, huh? It's the most powerful console of the three. Have you even heard what developers are saying about Xbox? "We ported our PS2 code over to Xbox, and within two weeks, it was running flawlessly... within four weeks, we had the frame rate locked to 60 FPS, while the PS2 could barely attain 30 FPS, and we're making this an Xbox-exclusive title, right now." I forget which game that happened with, it was a relatively large Japanese developer, I'm too tired to go searching on TXB.
[/quote845da]
Someone needs to take a chill pill :D Framerate is most certainly not everything ... if it was Gameboy wouldn't be the biggest selling console of all time ...
[quote845da="Kanuck"]
Price? Umm, did you actually BUY a PS2? If yes, how much did you pay? $299 USD? Funny, that price sounds oddly familiar... :)
[/quote845da]
Not here it doesn't, when X-Box launches here in Europe (several months late thanks to an apparent need to appease American gamers) it'll be priced (in the UK but a similar price in Euros) @ £299, the PS2 is currently £199 and may very well fall to £150 by March 2002 ... I'd not expect Gamecube to launch (again belatedly thanks to this weird need) at anything more than £199, possibly lower.
[quote845da="Kanuck"]
Corporate politics? Judge a console by its games, not by its makers!
[/quote845da]
In which case Nintendo and Sega win hands down, they have consistently defined new levels of 'realism' and new variations of genre for many years. They've not relied on a clutch of sports games, a clutch of racing games and a third person shoot-em up ... which should ring a bell with a certain Japanese company and may worryingly start happening with a Washington based one too ...
[quote845da="Kanuck"]
I never said any of these other consoles sucked, I just said they weren't as good.
[/quote845da]
The problem is Kanuck you fail to see that "good" means different things to most people. To you good apparently means high framerate graphics, to others its about challenging software, to others it's about originality, to yet more it's purely about bredth of titles ... I know you don't believe me but there are plenty of us around who've "been there, done that, brought the t-shirt and have the poster" ... we've seen all this before ...
[quote845da="Kanuck"]
Oh, and PSO, you're right, Xbox is a consolized PC
[/quote845da]
I know I'm right :)
[quote845da="Kanuck"]
... but then again, GameCube runs an IBM processor and an ATI graphics card... I mean, to some extent, they're all computers.
[/quote845da]
Perhaps, it's not at all important to me one way or the other ... it does appear important to you, hence why I felt it necessary to comment on the continued "It's nothing like a PC" argument :)
[quote845da="Kanuck"]
It may not sound like an incredible business plan, but even though that's exactly what Microsoft did, it's working beautifully so far.
[/quote845da]
Actually discussions have existed for years about turning PC's into consoles, take a look at old copies of EDGE and ACE if you can find 'em. As for the "working beautifully so far", not in Europe it's not and as I said, I hope MS fail miserably here because of their attrocious treatment of the largest market for this stuff in the world :)

Kanuck

Post by Kanuck »

Meh.

Yes, believe it or not, that's all I have to say. Oh, and one other thing, too - I feel I need to clarify what I judge a console on.

Yes, nice graphics are good, and a high framerate is cool, too. Strong sales definitely help a console gain popularity, and if all my friends think one console is cool, sure, that might sway me a little. (Though keep in mind, all my friends are PS2 fans.) Keeping the cost low is always a nice touch.

But to me, a console should be judged on their software, on their games. If PlayStation had never had Gran Turismo, or if Tony Hawk had first been released for Nintendo 64, there's a good chance that Nintendo could have come out of the last round of the console wars on top. Their launch lineup was extremely strong, with lots of quality games - I still give Mario Kart 64 a whirl now and then. Problem being, they never kept up with the good games, while PlayStation got killer app after killer app, and that's why Sony won.

I'm looking on the horizon for this generation of console wars, and it really can't be compared to any other generation, because for a large part, all of those amazing games being developed are coming out for all three systems. That's when the consoles themselves are compared based on features. GameCube is cheaper, but what about after I buy myself an ethernet adapter and a memory card? And what about when I fill that memory card to the brim, what then? That's why I'd rather have an Xbox in that situation, because the hard drive will hold lots of games, and the ethernet is built-in - I buy my Xbox, and I'm ready to go online. If all I cared about was sitting down with a buddy and racing our dream cars, I'd get a PS2, because nothing compares to GT3 (well, maybe GT2, but that's another discussion entirely). If I wanted to sit down for a hundred hours at once, playing through the biggest adventure game ever made, I'd get myself a GameCube, because Nintendo adventure games don't compare to anything else, they're vastly superior.

But dammit, I change my mind more often than the average woman, and I want it all. One minute, I might hook up my console to my composite video monitor, my cable internet connection, and my headset mic, and play online with complete and total strangers. An hour later, some buddies might knock on the door, so the four of us would take the system down to the family room, hook up the additional controllers and the nice, big television, and kick each other's asses in some party game. In my oh-so-humble opinion, that makes Xbox the superior console. IN MY OPINION. I may occasionally blur the lines between my opinions and the facts, but I just don't like people saying bad things about my preferred system based on misinformation, or a dislike for a certain rather geeky middle-aged man with more money than I could ever hope to make in a thousand years' work. So yes, I defend it, and yes, it's my favourite console. And yes, I'm a fanboy, so what?

I guess I'll just have to insert a key sentence here and there in my messages to make the message that much more obvious.

Xbox is the superior machine. [b46559]In my opinion.[/b46559] You want a GameCube? Go get one, I'm not going to be crying. Billy might, but I'd doubt that, too. [b46559]In my opinion,[/b46559] Xbox is better than GameCube or PS2. [b46559]In my opinion,[/b46559] it has the best lineup of games. And [b46559]in my opinion,[/b46559] it's easily the best purchase of the three current consoles.

Hmm, maybe "meh" wasn't all I had to say. But I have opinions, and as I'm sure some of you here and there have noticed, I like expressing it, and [b46559]in my opinion,[/b46559] there's nothing wrong with that!
I rule.

Pit

Post by Pit »

I think I am going to cry if I have to go through much more of this.