PhPbb SCam

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Re: PhPbb SCam

Post by Kevin Clark »

Just post a link to a hosting company.
$300 would have got them professional hosting for 5+ years!

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

I'd go as far as saying that he can get a low cost hosting sufficient for such needings at 20$ per year or so, possibly less.

A Commodore 64 would probably be enough.
Last edited by Nicholas the Italian on Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

krisfr wrote:There is a guy that has a PHPBB system running on a computer at his house.

He is scamming his users of the board asking for donations so he can buy 3 new computers to act as servers. A PHPBB server, a Mail Server and A Database Server . It stinks to high heaven. Is there any where to show someone that this 3 server configuration is not needed for his 30 at most active users and 400 registered users that hardly if ever sign on?

So guy sent him over 300 dollars as a paypal donation, He complains that his electric bill is high and that the computer is straining at the bit trying to keep up with the LOAD....

Thanks, I just want to inform the poor souls on that board.....

lol my three sites were busier than that combined, and they were running on a machine with the database server, webserver and email server all on the same machine. The machine in question was a 1.8 intel celeron M with 256mb of ram..... for a forum that small he certainly does not need such hardware :)

camm15h

Post by camm15h »

I'm guessing since it's at his house (if he's serious) then ISP costs would be involved also. Still, it wouldn't equate to so much of a cost...
Paul Cammish
Former Moderator Team Leader | Hull IT Solutions System Engineer

PM me for MOD or Style installations, board upgrades & customisations.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

If it's at his house, surely his inevitably poor upstream connection would be causing far more of a problem...