S T E E P learning curve - where to start?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Vic D'Elfant

Re: S T E E P learning curve - where to start?

Post by Vic D'Elfant »

fixerdave wrote: So, to finally get around to what this post is about, can anyone recommend an approach to learning how phpBB all fits together? I'm just looking for some cracks and toe-holds I can use to start scaling the learning curve. I don't need the "how to use or install" info, I want hints on making mods, understanding the code, that kind of stuff. What's out there?

I don't think this is something you didn't know yet, but you learn best by just trying. Back in the days when I wasn't even capable of writing a simple "<?php die('hello world'); ?>", I insisted on getting this complicated, weird piece of software called phpBB to do what I want. So, I started hacking around and after many, many hours of googling around and countless visits to php.net, I am where I am now :)

There really is no best approach, and neither are there best practices for getting a feeling of the phpBB internals. Set yourself a goal, do whatever it takes to reach that goal, and move on to the next challenge.
Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

fixerdave wrote: Sigh, no shortcuts huh? No one's made a "This is how phpBB works", or a primer on the templating system?

Try this => http://olympuswiki.naderman.de/Main_Page
and of course this => http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/code/
I'm sure there are other resources as well.
Have fun.
jojobarjo32

Post by jojobarjo32 »

The coding guidelines may help you too ;)
If you already know PHP a bit, phpBB's code is not that hard to learn :) (except perhaps for some parts such the template engine or the module system... those ones may require some "advanced" skills to understand them perfectly...)
who_cares

Post by who_cares »

Vic D'Elfant wrote: countless visits to php.net

heh, I do that a lot
geoffreak

Post by geoffreak »

2.0.x mods --> http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewforum.php?f=78
3.x mods --> coming soon!

(if you want some mods for 3.x, find Handyman or Highway of Life and click on the links in their signatures)
Ida

Post by Ida »

fixerdave

You seem to post quite a lot for someone with 0 posts :lol:

Bug ?

(edit: Or maybe posts in chit chat do not count ?)

(edit2: That is the case. *gets off the bug tracker* )
Ida == Gamall :) http://gamall-ida.com
karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Chit Chat
Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
pentapenguin

Post by pentapenguin »

May I recommend Practical PHP Programming? It's an "open source" PHP online book and is a great place to get started. :)
phpBB.com Support Team Member and Incident Investigation Team Member
My phpBB MODs || Professional phpBB Customization, Transfers, and Conversions
matt1206

Post by matt1206 »

pentapenguin wrote: May I recommend Practical PHP Programming? It's an "open source" PHP online book and is a great place to get started. :)

WOW, thanks for that link, that will give me something to get going on during my 12 hour night shifts at work :)