New phpbb.com website design, etc.

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
naderman
Consultant

Re: New phpbb.com website design, etc.

Post by naderman »

We hope that most designs will only consist of a changed theme (stylesheet) as people will have less problems with MODs and templates that way. The good thing about the prosilver template (HTML) is, that you can really make a design with only changing CSS that don't look like prosilver anymore at all.
bad-dj

Post by bad-dj »

naderman wrote: We hope that most designs will only consist of a changed theme (stylesheet) as people will have less problems with MODs and templates that way. The good thing about the prosilver template (HTML) is, that you can really make a design with only changing CSS that don't look like prosilver anymore at all.

ok cool well i am going to have to learn some more css as i only started to learn that 2 weeks so yes and only started to get it :)
Jan Marques

Post by Jan Marques »

I like very much that you dared to stop with subSilver, but I'm not amazed neither about the new result...
JCDenton

Post by JCDenton »

The markup and overall layout is nice (I especially like the switch of columns in viewtopic), but what's the deal with those <dl>s imitating a <table> (forumlist, viewforum etc.)? What's wrong with using a normal table? 8O
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

JCDenton wrote: The markup and overall layout is nice (I especially like the switch of columns in viewtopic), but what's the deal with those <dl>s imitating a <table> (forumlist, viewforum etc.)? What's wrong with using a normal table? 8O

Tables actually are really slow... they most load completely before they can be displayed.
Using <dl>s speeds up the rendering quite a bit.

THAT part of proSilver I am VERY happy to see. :D
JCDenton

Post by JCDenton »

Highway of Life wrote: Tables actually are really slow... they most load completely before they can be displayed.
Using <dl>s speeds up the rendering quite a bit.

The only browser that has to load tables completely before it displays them is IE. And rendering speed of tables can be increased with the help of CSS (table-layout: fixed).
Synaptic Anarchy

Post by Synaptic Anarchy »

We are not amused.

Responses to various posts in this topic:

-I'm really disappointed in a lot of designers who have already seen this style and talked it up for so long.

-A bland, general, simple, basic, or "boring" style is exactly the sort of style that is going to spawn endless clones.

-Shocking as this may be to some, IE is still in common use, so using <table> tags, simply because they've been around since the time of the dinosaurs and people are more familiar with them, isn't a strong enough argument to continue their use since it's "only IE" that loads them slowly. Go <dl> - I'm rootin' for you.

Thoughts directed toward the phpBB Team:

-I love the error message you placed on the styles directory. For anyone who has gone this long not being aware of how to "steal" style files, see this link: http://www.phpbb.com/community/styles/

-On that note, I think it would be wise to include the style in the next release, which I think would be equally wise to release soon. Some of us have lost the twinkle in our eyes over the years, and as much as I'm thankful for the chuckle I've gotten out of recent changes to the site, I think striking before the iron is completely cold should be your main priority right now. Why the style? Highway's STG and a few other communities have been making great strides in predevelopment for MODs, and we've even seen a few styles pop up here and there. Giving these good folk time to familiarize themselves with the new style will go a long way toward preventing us all from sitting on our hands for weeks while we wait for people to develop and/or redevelop MODs for the final release.

-Posting a link to a wikipedia article detailing why a site failure was likely from the beginning was hilarious, but doesn't do much for your image.

-The new site needs more pictures of Bertie, preferably a few shots of him taking a sledgehammer to some hard drives and Tom's copy of Photoshop.

And finally:

You realize, of, course, this means war!
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

JCDenton wrote: The only browser that has to load tables completely before it displays them is IE. And rendering speed of tables can be increased with the help of CSS (table-layout: fixed).
ONLY IE... yes, but IE still holds 70% of market share.

Plus, proSilver has gone the way of XTHML strict, this, I am excited about, and the point that Nils brought up, which I had not realized (stupidly) before, is the fact that you can (almost) do a complete redesign of proSilver by only touching the stylesheet.
This is good. :)
Synaptic Anarchy

Post by Synaptic Anarchy »

I can readily agree that quick and easy redesigning is good, and might go so far as to suggest that it's vital.
JCDenton

Post by JCDenton »

If table-layout: fixed is set than the browser will render the table faster. Including IE.
Mimicking tables with dls is just plain wrong (not to mention it produces trouble with all those floats) what ever happened to the idea of semantics? Tables should be used to show tabular data, and tabular data is exactly what we have on the forumlist and viewforum.
I'm thinking that this is a case of the "tables are evil" syndrome 8O

BTW.
SHS` wrote: "Table-less design" is stupid as it just abuses HTML/XHTML is different ways.
:P
Highway of Life wrote: Plus, proSilver has gone the way of XTHML strict, this, I am excited about, and the point that Nils brought up, which I had not realized (stupidly) before, is the fact that you can (almost) do a complete redesign of proSilver by only touching the stylesheet.

I don't see any relation between XHTML and the fact that you can redesign the layout only with CSS. I wouldn't be able to do that if I used HTML? I don't like this XHTML hype... (I *do* hovever like CSS hype :mrgreen: )

In fact, the "XHTML" (real XHTML has to be sent as application/xml+xhtml) generated by phpBB3 is going to be interpreted as plain old HTML(text/html) by all the browsers (unless the devs are planing to implement a "stupid browser sniffer" so everyone gets what they deserve)