Suppose that...

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Nicholas the Italian

Suppose that...

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

...you have a user who keeps annoying and provoking other people in your board even after repeated warnings, so you're willing to ban him; but you fear that he will try to get back in the forum in some way, writing as a guest (since this is allowed) or re-subscribing with another identity.
What countermeasures do you take? What are the chances that he'll be able to actually keep disturbing?
Is IP-banning effective? What's the risk to cut out other people?
What else would you do?

camm15h

Re: Suppose that...

Post by camm15h »

Administrative account activation. :)
Paul Cammish
Former Moderator Team Leader | Hull IT Solutions System Engineer

PM me for MOD or Style installations, board upgrades & customisations.

Nicholas the Italian

camm15h wrote: Administrative account activation. :)

Which is a thing I'd like to avoid... :roll: anyway, good one.
So, I must presume there's no way to keep someone out, if I want guests to be able to post in certain places?

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

camm15h wrote: Administrative account activation. :)

so.. if he tries to come through another username, and fills in false data? :roll:

if someone REALLY wants to mess with your board, you practically can't stop him. you can thank dynamic IP's and 5min email creation forms :(

Nicholas the Italian

Uchiha Nick wrote: if someone REALLY wants to mess with your board, you practically can't stop him. you can thank dynamic IP's and 5min email creation forms :(

I thought so.
So, a ban is basically like saying "sorry you're not welcome here, we ask you not to come back"...