OH MY FRICKEN GOD IM GOING TO SCREAm111111!!!!!

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
SHOwned

OH MY FRICKEN GOD IM GOING TO SCREAm111111!!!!!

Post by SHOwned »

I HATE cvs clients. I HATE THEM!!!!!

ARGH!

WinCVS used to work fine for me. Not anymore, it has trouble with cvs.exe or something or other. I googled the problem and others have had it too but nobody can fix it, and no a re-install didn't fix it.

WinCVS was all fine and dandy when it did work, you just paste in the cvs command and it did it.

So, I try tortoise CVS. First off they can't get their download link to work correctly and it downloads something that is a few kilobytes. The other one that worked was their unstable release...yea...of course that didn't work. So I tried their other download, the RC, and that worked. Yay! I paste in the log in command and it wont let me NOT have a password. ARGH!

It is a shame that not all projects are as good as phpBB.

Yawnster

Re: OH MY FRICKEN GOD IM GOING TO SCREAm111111!!!!!

Post by Yawnster »

try using a Command-Line product, im using the in-built CVS Client that comes with Ubuntu linux, its not really too hard to master..

Navigate to the directory of your choice, then run the CVS Commands..

I guess Xore has converted me to CLi though, and the solution is not going to work for everyone..

Yawnster

PS.. Try this and if you have any problems, hit me on #phpbb and ill see what I can do :)

who_cares

Post by who_cares »

Yawnster wrote: try using a Command-Line product, im using the in-built CVS Client that comes with Ubuntu linux, its not really too hard to master..

what's the command?

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

Chnage to the directory you wanna download the CVS to.. 'cd /var/www/phpBB'.. just copy in the commands from the CVS Page to login and checkout.. and then to update change to the directory you downloaded it to and run 'cvs update'... And wahey you have an update copy :)

Yawnster

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat »

The command line version of cvs is included in both programs, just go to a command prompt, change to the tortoise/wincvs program folder, and run the commands from there.

I'm sure the GUIs are fine for some developers, but they certainly aren't user friendly or meant for end users at all. A proper, simple 'grab from cvs' client would be good for translators and others often just needing checkouts 'regularly'.

IMO CLi is fine for a file at a time operations or if you sit at a tty terminal; for simple checkouts it's like copying files commandline. Something you did in the 70's. Still, no way around it.
"This is the place where the sun don't shine"