Laptop Purchasing Advice

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
.Zach

Re: Laptop Purchasing Advice

Post by .Zach »

gutterballk7 wrote: Martin Blank did a great job at getting some of my questions about Dell answered.
SHS'... really, I can afford any laptop in that range, but I probably don't want to spend more than $1500. I need the majority of my money for college itself.
I will look at Zach's link now. :D

Okay, the HP laptops Zack pointed out - our school has them for some of the teachers. I looked at them and I was like wow... 17 inches of widescreeen... unnecessary - they also commented that if I were to carry books on my laptop or something, I'd likely break my screen due to the lack of support in the middle of the screen.

However, I have looked at HP's for a long while and those were my intended purchase.... but now I'm strongly leaning towards Dell since my confidence in them is a little higher at the moment.

I would like to ask though... Final Question: When do you think is the best time to buy a laptop? (Like, in June, or July, or August.) Other than that, I'm quite happy with the answers.
Wow dude... You're just worried about the huge screen? It's 240 GB for christ sake! And it's a laptop! :|

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

Frankly, in my opinion 15" is the optimal form factor for a laptop.

Frankly, if I was buying a laptop, I'd go for a MacBook Pro (MBP), but, that's mostly cause I'm a Mac Geek.

However, since you can now dual boot Mac OS and Windows, it might be worthwhile considering.

It also has inbuilt webcam, and, loads of other cool things. It's got the "Core Duo" right now, which, despite Intels clever trick with branding, isn't actually a chip with it's new Core archetecture. For that we'll have to wait for Merom, as some others said. It's scedualed for August I believe, and, Apple will certainly be one of the first out the door with it, probabaly be upgrading the MBP's stats, because, well, if they don't keep their products cutting edge, the number of reasons for the average consumer to buy them drops sharply, and they are still at the stage that intel will do anything to keep them happy to ensure that they don't decide that switching to intel was a bad idea, and decide to switch to AMD.

There, said my bit. But definatly wait for Merom.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Lastof wrote: It's got the "Core Duo" right now, which, despite Intels clever trick with branding, isn't actually a chip with it's new Core archetecture. For that we'll have to wait for Merom, as some others said. It's scedualed for August I believe, and, Apple will certainly be one of the first out the door with it, probabaly be upgrading the MBP's stats, because, well, if they don't keep their products cutting edge, the number of reasons for the average consumer to buy them drops sharply, and they are still at the stage that intel will do anything to keep them happy to ensure that they don't decide that switching to intel was a bad idea, and decide to switch to AMD.

There, said my bit. But definatly wait for Merom.
Errr... "Core Duo" is a new core architecture (codename Yonah) and is a 2nd generation "Pentium M" (1st generation was Banias followed with die-shrink Dothan).

Yonah was ahead as it was a strictly 32bit CPU, where as the "Core" desktop and server replacements would have require 64bit-ness. Those will come by the way of Conroe (desktop), WoodCrest (Xeon's for workstations and DP servers).

The laptop versions of the 64bit CPUs is Merom, however it's general design (14 stage pipeline, shared L2, etc) is the same as Yonah. There is also a Xeon based on Yonah, called Sossaman, which is marketed as Xeon LV... which does have VT, but is only 32bit.

As for "Intel needing to keep Apple happy"... please step away from the Reality Distortion Field™. Apple is small fry in the commodity PC world and the real reason they chose over AMD is that Intel are able to build extremely good chipset platforms for their CPUs, something that AMD still has little concept of. Apple were able to officially announce Core Duo based products a few weeks earlier than the rest, though actual time to market was more or less the same.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way