Whois FuntKlakow

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
SynergyMod

Re: Whois FuntKlakow

Post by SynergyMod »

Not sure who the "See first post on page 1" was for, but being a person who deals with computer security as part of my profession I'll say it's the people who let their guards down who get most suprised. It never hurts to err on the side of caution. I'd hate to see a spam bot start posting links that would install SDBOT or some such IRC backdoor on people's machines, knowing that many people let their antivirus definitions lapse and remain lapsed for long amounts of time. Feeling responsible for the safety of my community, I don't take any potential threat lightly. Chances are it is innocuous, but if there is any possibility of maliciousness my mind will always gravitate towards a serious response. Can't hurt, right?

quick5pnt0

Post by quick5pnt0 »

Very true. Theres also no reason to jump to any conclusions without having the facts either.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

SynergyMod wrote: Not sure who the "See first post on page 1" was for, but being a person who deals with computer security as part of my profession I'll say it's the people who let their guards down who get most suprised. It never hurts to err on the side of caution. I'd hate to see a spam bot start posting links that would install SDBOT or some such IRC backdoor on people's machines, knowing that many people let their antivirus definitions lapse and remain lapsed for long amounts of time. Feeling responsible for the safety of my community, I don't take any potential threat lightly. Chances are it is innocuous, but if there is any possibility of maliciousness my mind will always gravitate towards a serious response. Can't hurt, right?
I too am in the computer security industry, so yes, I know a thing or two. As has been said all along, it is possible that there is such a threat. Not once has that been disputed. However, causing a panic does more harm than good. The phpBB Team is constantly looking in to this and will, should the time come, warn and help people. But until such a time comes, panicing isn't going to solve the problem.

After all, isn't that what computer forensic examiners are taught? To be level-headed and decisive?

SynergyMod

Post by SynergyMod »

Absolutely. I agree. I never said definitively that there was anything to worry about, just the possibility that things may be more than we can see, especially when we have nothing much more than speculation in any direction. I am just not one to whistle past the graveyard, so to speak. Where the potential exists, I address the potential worst case. Regardless, I think we are going off topic a bit. I would like to stay up on any information so I can address issues on my own forum as they arise.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

SynergyMod wrote: Absolutely. I agree. I never said definitively that there was anything to worry about, just the possibility that things may be more than we can see, especially when we have nothing much more than speculation in any direction. I am just not one to whistle past the graveyard, so to speak. Where the potential exists, I address the potential worst case. Regardless, I think we are going off topic a bit. I would like to stay up on any information so I can address issues on my own forum as they arise.
:) And with that, back on topic we go. :D

tejas

Post by tejas »

I am the one that started this thread over a post in my out of the way forum. It has drawn, as you can see, a bunch of attention. It has addressed a problem that has the potential to create a problem for all our boards. That said, maybe a thread dedicated to the concerns of users of phpbb software should be created and locked into place where all of us can see the latest threats to security of the forum.

This thread has taken a life of its own to highlight a major concern. At the top of this forum should be placed a sounding board where all of us can have input to address our concerns or 'raise' the flag of potential problems.

Maybe the googlebots and msnbots can scan this forum enough to keep security concerns atop of the search for the public.

As it stands now Funt gets all the news while another bot might sneak in and do some real damage.

Mods and admins here consider a HOT page for potential trouble and fixes where we can post and stay in touch.

Thanks...tejas

SynergyMod

Post by SynergyMod »

Good idea, tejas. I would love to see a security forum.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Well...if you guys are worried about bots registering and leaving links in their sig/website sections, I made a mod to fix it...this version has not been approved by the MOD team yet...I don't know what is taking them so long...its been about a week since I submitted it...oh well...it works great on my board. :D

http://www.gotechzilla.com/files/EXreac ... _1.0.2.zip" target="_blank
(it hides the signature and website sections during registration, and blanks them when they register...when you are logged in, it works normaly)

jrdgames

Post by jrdgames »

The admin of powware forums has just now sent me a response here is the list of emails he gave me:
im not sure that the last one is a bot or not but it could be he didnt give me Cepelin's email, but they should all go on the ban list.

tejas

Post by tejas »

jrdgames wrote: The admin of powware forums has just now sent me a response here is the list of emails he gave me:
im not sure that the last one is a bot or not but it could be he didnt give me Cepelin's email, but they should all go on the ban list.
email for Cepelin, cep1cep2cep3@op.pl