Whois FuntKlakow

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
dhn

Whois FuntKlakow

Post by dhn »

FuntKlakow is nothing to worry about

Note: I hijacked this topic to get some things straight and to prevent further misinformation. See the quote below for the original post.

FuntKlakow is just a spam bot. It registers on forums that have Visual Confirmation disabled and posts a few messages containing links, that's it. This is not a phpBB specific problem, this would also work on other forum systems that have Visual Confirmation or other spambot protection disabled. phpBB, due to its popularity is simply the easiest target.

So, please activate Visual Confirmation if you didn't do it already and stay calm. There is nothing to worry.
tejas wrote: A FuntKlakow registed into my phpbb forum yesterday. curious I did a google and he also registered to 145 or so phpbb forums yesterday also . shows up as a new member. Somebody setting phpbb for something?

Maybe I am overly suspicious. Maybe you guys can pick up a pattern.

thanks,

tejas
Last edited by dhn on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PCTalk

Re: Whois FuntKlakow

Post by PCTalk »

I noticed someone with that username had registered in one of the forums I frequent. Hope it's not someone bent on no good. :?
If it isn't fun, why do it?

pevil

Post by pevil »

Hmmm yes it's my forum that Spock is talking about, he signed up just 2 days after I did a clean install of phpbb... I'll be keeping an eye on this thread now

tejas

Post by tejas »

I have removed this user from my site but the original 145 phpbb boards from Sunday is now up to over 10,000 hits. Has to be a script running but to what end?

Between Brackets

Post by Between Brackets »

This Funt Klakow has registered on our forum as well...

Is was looking for who he might be, and I ended up here...

Anyone who already knows who he is?

Is it better to ban this person, to avoid problems or won't that help?

PCTalk

Post by PCTalk »

tejas wrote: ... but the original 145 phpbb boards from Sunday is now up to over 10,000 hits. ...
And just how do you know how many and which other forums "he" has registered in? :?:
If it isn't fun, why do it?

tejas

Post by tejas »

You are correct PcTalk

Results 311 - 317 of about 10,100 for funtklakow. is from a Google on the name. Far cry from 10K.

It just struck me as showing up as the latest registered user in funtKlakow and all the boards are phpbb and all done in one day , or so it seems, and no post . just registered. I'm sure it is just a fluke. No further action needed.

Neodreams

Post by Neodreams »

Hello,
I am the Admin of another forum, Neo dreaming, and I would like to ask you to monitor your newbies asap from the time they sign up for the protection of your users. I have belonged to a few forums before starting my own and atleast on one of them every single member started getting the same e-mails at once and they all had Virouses in them.
I googled this name myself and found your post here. Was not hard as it was the first one on the list of MANY under this user name. Thought I would jump in and warn you that this is an issue that might be like others out there and to please take note of this as the same users is hitting many phpbb sites at once. Could be phishing or worse.
If you wish to contact me to keep in touch on this matter the E-mail is
Neo_dreams@netscape.com
you can use that same addy to contact me via MSN
Thank you
Neo

tejas

Post by tejas »

Neo,

Thanks for understanding what I was trying to point out. The script or whatever that is registering this user got on my board that is a smalll family one to track birthdays and family reuinions, so it stuck out like a sore thumb. The big boards might have the user hidden for days in case the idea was a malicious script to follow.

Just a heads up.

tejas

Mike Knapp

Post by Mike Knapp »

I run a medium sized board (hometheatertalk.com) and I may or may not have seen this name. My policy is to accept only real names as usernames and I must approve any new members so this one would have been tossed anyway.

You all may consider forcing admin approval before the member can become active, then you can nip this thing in the bud.

Mike