Whois FuntKlakow

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
tejas

Re: Whois FuntKlakow

Post by tejas »

He answered my question of or what the reason was for all the postings all over the internet. He said he was not the one ;doing it. He then stated that defeating the VC part of phpbb was easy and provided the code he uses

~~~
phpBB 2.0.Xs image verification is very very weak. Instead of using character recogniztion software, my script can just download each bit of the code match its MD5 sum to an array. Below is the code I use. I am sorry if someone has posted this method before.

~~~
He then put the extraction code here
Last edited by tejas on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gLiTcH_

Post by gLiTcH_ »

Hasn't reached my forum yet, FuntKlakow doesn't have any aliases? If not, that would be a very dumb bot since all forum admins can simply just add FuntKlakow to the disallowed usernames list. Has anybody thought of that? Didn't read all the pages yet. :)
tejas

Post by tejas »

I asked him if Cepelin was also one of his bots or a copycat, but he didn't respond to that. He just said it was not him behind the attacks. Now that the post and code is gone, I don't know. I figured the mods had pulled the code to see if it was valid. When I came back both were gone.

If in fact the code bypassed the present VC mod then it should be looked at.
Stefft

Post by Stefft »

Everybody can register with the name FuntKlakow, so it could be a joke. Also the response to Tejas.
tejas

Post by tejas »

Quite true.

Just keep and eye out for cepelin and budowa_cepa.

They are playing the same game.

I did capture the code posted earlier but since I couln't code myself out of a wet paper sack, I have no idea if it'slegit.

If the mods here did not pick it up I can send it to them for a looksie.

'till later
soulvasq

Post by soulvasq »

I am so happy right now, I just had to register and post. I was just checking my forum (had a lot of spam in it lately, just a bunch of links posted by guests), and I noticed that we had a new user (yay!) and it was FuntKlakow (boo!). I looked up his profile, and noticed he hadn't made any posts. Just on a random hunch, i looked up his name on google. And I found you (first link!).

First of all, I'm happy that you really can find what you're looking for on the internet. Second of all (though more importantly), I'm happy that "the internet" is full of people like yourselves, who are happy to help solve all sorts of problems for people like myself.

And, of course, I'm happy that you've helped me dodge a potential threat to my board. I started reading, realized what I stumbled upon, slowly noticed that these posts were all very recent. And I read the whole thing. To sum up:

FuntKlakow, Cepelin and perhaps budowa_cepa are people you don't want on your messageboard.

You can (I did):
Delete these users, and Disallow their names
Username: FuntKlakow
Username: Cepelin
(budowa_cepa did not hit my board)

Disallow their email addresses
FuntKlakow Email:
funtklakow@socialinfohub.com
Cepelin Email:
speluna@poczta.onet.pl

Disallow their IP addresses
FuntKlakow IP Address:
(Cepelin IP Address not yet posted here)

And verify that you have visual confirmation enabled. (unfortunately, I haven't found that setting yet)

I also noticed that I had a new Style called FI Black. I am certain I didn't install it. I deleted it.

Thank you all for your informative insight into this pest, and I wish you all safe and happy messageboards!

The problem with THE ILLUSION is that an Illusion is,
in and of itself, an illusion.
There is no illusion, the ILLUSION isn't real.
nastynotch00

Post by nastynotch00 »

soulvasq wrote: And verify that you have visual confirmation enabled. (unfortunately, I haven't found that setting yet)

I also noticed that I had a new Style called FI Black. I am certain I didn't install it. I deleted it.
To get to the Visual Confirmation setting goto your admin panel and on the left hand side find "General Admin". Just under that you should see a link called "Configuration" In the configuration you'll see a setting that says "Enable Visual Confirmation". You want to check Yes for that.

As for FI Black. I believe a while back there was an exploit where they would install that style. What version are you using? Sounds like you may be using an older version that has been hacked.
tejas

Post by tejas »

One last post on these bots and I will go back to my hole. Below is an example of the pollution factor of these bots. This site just set up and only has 7 users registered.

3 of them are listed in this thread. Maybe admins need to have security hammered better on the install.

Not knowing if these bots are harmless or up to no good.
~~~

powware.com Forum Index Select sort method: Order
# Username E-mail Location Joined Posts Website
1 Send private message Admin 05 Oct 2005 5 Visit poster's website
2 Send private message jtfoe1974 USA 11 Feb 2006 0 Visit poster's website
3 Send private message budowa_cepa 19 Feb 2006 0
4 Send private message Cepelin 24 Feb 2006 0
5 Send private message qmzpsklh French Southern Territories 27 Feb 2006 0 Visit poster's website
6 Send private message FuntKlakow 04 Mar 2006 0
7 Send private message uatsq Reunion 08 Mar 2006 0 Visit poster's website
~~~
:(
jrdgames

Post by jrdgames »

tejas wrote: One last post on these bots and I will go back to my hole. Below is an example of the pollution factor of these bots. This site just set up and only has 7 users registered.

3 of them are listed in this thread. Maybe admins need to have security hammered better on the install.

Not knowing if these bots are harmless or up to no good.
~~~

powware.com Forum Index Select sort method: Order
# Username E-mail Location Joined Posts Website
1 Send private message Admin 05 Oct 2005 5 Visit poster's website
2 Send private message jtfoe1974 USA 11 Feb 2006 0 Visit poster's website
3 Send private message budowa_cepa 19 Feb 2006 0
4 Send private message Cepelin 24 Feb 2006 0
5 Send private message qmzpsklh French Southern Territories 27 Feb 2006 0 Visit poster's website
6 Send private message FuntKlakow 04 Mar 2006 0
7 Send private message uatsq Reunion 08 Mar 2006 0 Visit poster's website
~~~
:(
None of my forums have any of the bots spoken of here, I use visual confirmation and email verification. I have also pm'ed the admin of powware.com forums informing him about these bots and i have also asked for there emails and there ip's if he has them we'll see how that works I will post here either way.

EDIT I just got an idea maybe if we could get a MOD that added a simple but random question? like "What color is a red apple?" but the color/shape/etc and fruit/vegetable/etc could be random and strings configurable in the acp? allowing it to be like:
  • What color is a red apple?
    What color is a yellow squash?
    What shape is a square box?
    How long is a 2 foot ruler?
and the admin could think of many more, but with a MOD like this than bots wouldnt be able to get around it because the admin could change the questions they could even make it something hard if they wanted to-anyway just an idea.
quick5pnt0

Post by quick5pnt0 »

jrdgames wrote: None of my forums have any of the bots spoken of here, I use visual confirmation and email verification. I have also pm'ed the admin of powware.com forums informing him about these bots and i have also asked for there emails and there ip's if he has them we'll see how that works I will post here either way.

EDIT I just got an idea maybe if we could get a MOD that added a simple but random question? like "What color is a red apple?" but the color/shape/etc and fruit/vegetable/etc could be random and strings configurable in the acp? allowing it to be like:
  • What color is a red apple?
    What color is a yellow squash?
    What shape is a square box?
    How long is a 2 foot ruler?
and the admin could think of many more, but with a MOD like this than bots wouldnt be able to get around it because the admin could change the questions they could even make it something hard if they wanted to-anyway just an idea.
Thats not a bad idea. It would only work if the admins of each forum were to create their own questions/answers because the bots would eventually get past this. The only problem i find with allowing the admins to create their own questions and answers is the possibility of errors. For example what if the admin were to ask "what do you watch television shows on" and the user answered "TV" but the admin only accepted "television" as an answer.

I guess the only way around it would be to have it multiple choice but that might also create a problem such as what if the bots are then made to answer the multiple choice randomly until it gets the answer right? Sure you could limit the number of times a person can get the question wrong but that might just signal the bot to come back over and over again wasting your resources.