I Miss phpBB.com!

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
the_dan

Re: I Miss phpBB.com!

Post by the_dan »

nastynotch00 wrote: Not trying to start a flame war here, but the fact that phpbb has been down so long doesnt surprise me a bit. Its yet another thing that the phpbb developers "promised" to be done in x amount of days/hours only to wind up taking three times as long.
How experianced are you with the ins and outs of co-location hosting? I suspect it is actually a fairly complex task to get a server moved, even if everything goes right. As all computer users know, that isn't always the case.
The team provided a estimated time period, and other circumstances presumably prevented them from hitting it. If they hadn't provided that rough timescale, I'm sure there would also be people here complaining about lack of communication, or somthing like that.

SamG

Post by SamG »

niksa wrote:
nastynotch00 wrote: Not trying to start a flame war here, but the fact that phpbb has been down so long doesnt surprise me a bit. Its yet another thing that the phpbb developers "promised" to be done in x amount of days/hours only to wind up taking three times as long.

I love phpbb btw so please dont take this the wrong way. The point i'm trying to make is that if they arent certain the move will take 24-48 hours they shouldnt state that. I distinctly remember psotfx making a post in late '04 about how we should keep an eye out for 3.0 in late february of '05. A year and x amount of months later and we're still waiting. Should we expect the same for phpbb.com???
Sad, but true.
What's sad, but true, is the fact that phpBB teams can't win.

They try to give us information, it proves optimistic, and we rake them over for it. They give us little-to-no information to avoid the raking, and we rake them over for it anyway.

I've been around long enough to be disappointed more than once. So? As a former team member I can say with all honesty that the vast majority of phpBB team members, past and present, have worked on phpBB in good faith.

That ought to be good enough for the vast majority of us. In some cases, phpBB as a project fails to serve needs. No doubt. But the rest of us can make a choice about how we view the project in terms of it being a good faith project since its inception, or not. Our expectations and our comments ought to conform to that view either way, it seems to me.

Newfy

Post by Newfy »

It's back, thank you so much!

But there is one thing:

It wasn't as exciting as I thought. My addiction is GONE! The downtime was just enough time to break my addiction.

niksa

Post by niksa »

SamG wrote:
niksa wrote:

I love phpbb btw so please dont take this the wrong way. The point i'm trying to make is that if they arent certain the move will take 24-48 hours they shouldnt state that. I distinctly remember psotfx making a post in late '04 about how we should keep an eye out for 3.0 in late february of '05. A year and x amount of months later and we're still waiting. Should we expect the same for phpbb.com???
Sad, but true.
What's sad, but true, is the fact that phpBB teams can't win.

They try to give us information, it proves optimistic, and we rake them over for it. They give us little-to-no information to avoid the raking, and we rake them over for it anyway.

I've been around long enough to be disappointed more than once. So? As a former team member I can say with all honesty that the vast majority of phpBB team members, past and present, have worked on phpBB in good faith.

That ought to be good enough for the vast majority of us. In some cases, phpBB as a project fails to serve needs. No doubt. But the rest of us can make a choice about how we view the project in terms of it being a good faith project since its inception, or not. Our expectations and our comments ought to conform to that view either way, it seems to me.

Hey, no need to get defensive. It's a simple fact that they aren't able to hold their deadlines. It's not saying they're a bad site or a bad group of people. It's just saying that you can't put much stock into their deadlines, you have to take all deadlines with a grain of salt that has been proven over and over for years.

I think phpbb is the best board out there, that's why I'm here. But if you can't handle the truth that they can't hold deadlines, then you're deluding yourself and others. You cannot force me to change my opinion that they can't hold a deadline, sorry. The only reason why people care so much is because they love the software and they love the community.

I will re-iterate: phpbb is the best, imo, software for bulletin boards. They are not, however, the best at meeting deadlines.

Big deal! Everyone has a weakness somewhere, otherwise they'd be inhuman.

So, just chill out with all the defensive comments, folks. Everyoneknows how hard the phpbb team works, but if you can't take a small, unoffensive and true comment, then you're a little too uptight. :roll:

As a side note, my mom can't hold a deadline either, but I still love her. 8)

Repent

Post by Repent »

The REAL bottom line is:

PhpBB is a powerful, and effective piece of software that is delivered to us absolutely FREE of charge, and is comparable to forum software that costs $100 of dollars, I don't care how long it takes them.

BRAVO to the whole team for putting up with a bunch of whinny little children for all these years.

God Bless the PhpBB team!

</MyTwoCents>

:mrgreen:

SamG

Post by SamG »

niksa, do you remind your mom at least once a month that she can't keep deadlines? Is it something that you feel a need to discuss with her regularly, or do you just accept it?

I'm suggesting that since it's "been proven over and over for years" that phpBB deadlines aren't reliable that we quit talking about it, and that we don't encourage others to talk about it. I'm not trying to change your opinion about the deadlines themselves, and you will look a long time to find me trying to do that with anybody. It's our attitude that I'm talking about, nothing more nor less.

jwxie

Post by jwxie »

visit this post, then you know.....
Because they're doing a rebuild of the system hardware and also transporting it to a new location. They also have a new hosting provider. Development of phpBB 3.0 is still continuing, and commits to the CVS are still taking place: http://area51.phpbb.com/statcvs/" target="_blank
viewtopic.php?p=137706#p137706" target="_blank