I Miss phpBB.com!

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Newfy

Re: I Miss phpBB.com!

Post by Newfy »

Please come back, phpBB! It was such a cool place!

My phpBB lies over the cyberspace
My phpBB lies over the Internet
My phpBB lies over the cyberspace
Bring back my phpBB to me!

Bring back, bring back, bring back my phpBB to me, to me!
Bring back, bring back, bring back my phpBB to me!

(of course, if sung by mouth, the rhyme scheme and rhythm is way off)

Where has the phpBB forum gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago

Gone from Doreo, everyone!
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

*sigh* Goodbye phpBB-dot-com forum. It was fun while it lasted.

Natan

Post by Natan »

What is it exactly that you miss about phpBB's main forum? The support? You're getting that here with better posting features. The Discussion Forum? Thats the most lifeless place where you can't even crack a joke without getting your topic locked.
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

jwxie

Post by jwxie »

They said 3/3, but keep one thing in mind
they have to install not just only the computer(the host), they also have to set up things like "DNS".......

Newfy

Post by Newfy »

I go to phpBB.com for the General Discussion area. I don't have my own forum so I don't need Support.

Yeah the rules are a little strict. But there are a group of cool personalities like Pit, Techie-Micheal, SHS', Geocator, StarFoxTJ, and many more that keep me coming back to General Discussion.

If phpBB got rid of General Discussion then I probably would have no reason to visit phpBB.com

nastynotch00

Post by nastynotch00 »

Not trying to start a flame war here, but the fact that phpbb has been down so long doesnt surprise me a bit. Its yet another thing that the phpbb developers "promised" to be done in x amount of days/hours only to wind up taking three times as long.

I love phpbb btw so please dont take this the wrong way. The point i'm trying to make is that if they arent certain the move will take 24-48 hours they shouldnt state that. I distinctly remember psotfx making a post in late '04 about how we should keep an eye out for 3.0 in late february of '05. A year and x amount of months later and we're still waiting. Should we expect the same for phpbb.com???
Last edited by nastynotch00 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

murat

Post by murat »

Natan wrote: What is it exactly that you miss about phpBB's main forum? The support? You're getting that here with better posting features. The Discussion Forum? Thats the most lifeless place where you can't even crack a joke without getting your topic locked.

The only valuable part of phpbb.com were the Mod-sections

niksa

Post by niksa »

nastynotch00 wrote: Not trying to start a flame war here, but the fact that phpbb has been down so long doesnt surprise me a bit. Its yet another thing that the phpbb developers "promised" to be done in x amount of days/hours only to wind up taking three times as long.

I love phpbb btw so please dont take this the wrong way. The point i'm trying to make is that if they arent certain the move will take 24-48 hours they shouldnt state that. I distinctly remember psotfx making a post in late '04 about how we should keep an eye out for 3.0 in late february of '05. A year and x amount of months later and we're still waiting. Should we expect the same for phpbb.com???
Sad, but true.

ozb

Post by ozb »

If you have never setup a new server from scratch and with no lead time to plan the install then you don't and cannot appreciate what the admins are probably going through right now.

Especially for such a busy and well known site as phpbb.com

patience padawan :mrgreen:

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

nastynotch00 wrote: Not trying to start a flame war here, but the fact that phpbb has been down so long doesnt surprise me a bit. Its yet another thing that the phpbb developers "promised" to be done in x amount of days/hours only to wind up taking three times as long.
Well, the developers never promised anything. SHS` took care of basically all of the server move. The estimate you saw there was based on the idea of a 2 day box transport, and 1 day to set the box back up. Suffice to say, no one has ever done a server move quite like this before, so not everything went as expected. The whole box move was, strictly speaking, only 26 hours "late" in being public. Which isn't bad considering we've never done a box move quite like that since phpBB.com was started.

You can say what you like about how long it took, but unless you've moved a box across a few states and then gone on to do matinence of the box, you won't fully understand what was involved in the past few days.

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

didijeeeke

Post by didijeeeke »

wel it was online but now it's back offfline