php virgin

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
sublimare

php virgin

Post by sublimare »

Hi.

(Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong forum.)

I have been a message board moderator for a few years, and last fall I was made the board administrator. So now I have been thrown into a world I didn't even know existed. I actually had to look up PHP on Wikipedia to find out what it was, :oops: and I'm still a bit lost. Thankfully I do not have the responsibility of programming the site, however I would like to know how to use phpBB, since it is part of the job and I'd like to be capable in all aspects of managing the boards.

I have started to read through some of the posts here, but it's still a bit fuzzy. My question is, does anyone have suggestions on resources for beginners? Is there an easy-to-understand resource for laymen, or is it best to just jump in and figure things out as I go?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Only a complete ego-maniac would quote themself.
~sublimare
Yawnster

Re: php virgin

Post by Yawnster »

This is the point where i would link to the Welcome Package.. but unfortunately phpBB.com is down at present, so i cant..

Try reposting this on the main forums in a few days, (when they get back online), this way we will have a nice easy link for you to follow instead of us having to type out a load of stuff...

Yawnster
xdarkday

Post by xdarkday »

I wouldnt try anything till you have your own board hosted to do tests on. The phpbb main site is down right now so try maybe reading through some of these. http://www.phpbbhacks.com/forums/index.php?c=6" target="_blank

Remember... Dont practice on a running community.
pentapenguin

Post by pentapenguin »

The userguide is a great place to start. :)
phpBB.com Support Team Member and Incident Investigation Team Member
My phpBB MODs || Professional phpBB Customization, Transfers, and Conversions
who_cares

Post by who_cares »

If you're talking about general php programming then there are books out there.
You don't have to know php to use phpbb though
iamdeirdre

Post by iamdeirdre »

I'm new to php as well, but I do have some suggestions for you.

Check out this website:
W3Schools

Before you try to tackle php I'd make sure you know some html and css first. CSS is especially wonderful for making cosmetic changes to any php based site (example: phpbb, oscommerce, geeklog, coppermine, etc).

W3 Schools has little primers on most of the programming languages, and short quizzes to see how you do.

:-) Good luck!
sublimare

Post by sublimare »

Thanks for all the good advice. :)
Only a complete ego-maniac would quote themself.
~sublimare
Biker

Post by Biker »

First off, When you write scriptz, Don't copy and paste, gets you noware, well does but not far, for instence, i build proffesional web sites, all for free, own my own server, own a hosting company, all from being a web master & i have never gone to any php, html, javascript, java, training sites, or read anything on it i just started writing stuff in notepad, worked, so i started just guessing stuff worked, i'm not sure but i think its a natral skill or somthing but thats just me being a pc geek gain :p

But in your case, i'd reccomend downloading phpbb, No one likes people copying our codes so.. DONT COPY THE CODES!, just view the files (win32pad should do the trick) and just read up and revise. Basicly how you learned how to read.

And if you havnt got alot of money and want to save a bit of time dl phpbb for your forum software.

~Biker
will_hough

Post by will_hough »

I made the Userguide into a PDF if you would like to download it.
It's on my site Edit - link removed
Last edited by will_hough on Fri May 12, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

Biker wrote: First off, When you write scriptz, Don't copy and paste, gets you noware, well does but not far, for instence, i build proffesional web sites, all for free, own my own server, own a hosting company, all from being a web master & i have never gone to any php, html, javascript, java, training sites, or read anything on it i just started writing stuff in notepad, worked, so i started just guessing stuff worked, i'm not sure but i think its a natral skill or somthing but thats just me being a pc geek gain :p

But in your case, i'd reccomend downloading phpbb, No one likes people copying our codes so.. DONT COPY THE CODES!, just view the files (win32pad should do the trick) and just read up and revise. Basicly how you learned how to read.

And if you havnt got alot of money and want to save a bit of time dl phpbb for your forum software.

~Biker
Ok so you just managed to guess everything first time?? Wow you must be like Computer God..