cpu usage stuck at 100%

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
IP-Dope

cpu usage stuck at 100%

Post by IP-Dope »

Hi,

Just a few minutes ago, I was browsing the fora for a bit, and suddenly my CPU usage goes to 100%, while I wasnt doing anything special or running any programs. Now, a few minutes later, my CPU is still at 100%.

This isn't the first time it happens. It's happened before, and usually I reboot my computer and my CPU usage is back to normal again. But now it happened yet another time, and I'm rather curious about the cause of this. Could it be one of the process going wild every now and then? I haven't many "nasty" programs installed on this machine, only stuff like mIRC, Winamp, Firefox and Microsoft Office, and spyware/virus scanning programs (which didnt return any bad file).

I was hoping that perhaps one of you might have had similar experiences, or know more about it. I'm not asking support for my problem, since I dont bother as long as I get no serious trouble, but Im asking out of curiosity.

Cheers

ChALkeR

Re: cpu usage stuck at 100%

Post by ChALkeR »

You have MSoffice installed => your OS is Windows...
Just check what proccess does that... (ctrl+alt+del => procceses => sort by system load)
Sorry for my bad English....

markus_petrux

Post by markus_petrux »

I have observed this happening with Firefox. Maybe something related to some extension, quite annoying really...

You might to check out SysInternals' Process Explorer. It's a very nice and handy freeware tool.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Also with Netscape 8 series it happens.. :evil:
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

IP-Dope

Post by IP-Dope »

markus_petrux wrote: You might to check out SysInternals' Process Explorer. It's a very nice and handy freeware tool.
Thanks for the suggestion, it definately looks promising. I will sure give it a try.

Cheers

txuspe

Post by txuspe »

I have that problem with Firefox and some Flash movies...

Regards ;)

Natan

Post by Natan »

I had this problem with McAffee virus scan. When doing an update, it would sometimes freeze, and when I killed it, the CPU continuted to run at 100%.
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

SHOwned

Post by SHOwned »

My CPU usage is always at 100%. Instead of letting my CPU cycles go to waste, I put them to good use in honor of medical research and for those we lost. My CPU Folds for Team 32 24/7 at 100%.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Check task manager to find the process doing that, and kill it 8)

aspoous

Post by aspoous »

I have the problem whit fora having snowflakes or similar using JavaScript, maybe you bumped into one of these :?: