Why was the WTC topic locked

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
DragonlordP

Why was the WTC topic locked

Post by DragonlordP »

On this forum's description, it says "Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ..." and at the forum rules it only says not to post any phpbb topics here (unless SHS's underwear had something to do with the WTC plane crush :P ). Not that I will really miss the topic, but I don't understand why a more serious topic than "tell us your age" or "media player" should be locked. It wasn't offensive, instead it was very politely written and I can't see which rule it broke. If there are people who want to chat about it, what's the problem? If not, it will practically lock itself.
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more
DragonlordP

Re: Why was the WTC topic locked

Post by DragonlordP »

And please don't lock this one too :roll: , it's rude if anything to people like me who support this project and participate to your forums.
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more
the_dan

Post by the_dan »

DragonlordP wrote: And please don't lock this one too :roll: , it's rude if anything to people like me who support this project and participate to your forums.
I don't think it's a relevant topic for this board.
and

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Note DragonLordP (before you go off on one calling me all manner of names) that I didn't lock said topic. But let me reiterate a couple of things:

Firstly, this is not a "free for all" ... posts made here are allowed purely at the discretion of the moderators and other teams. There is no "right to free post".

Secondly, we have an awful lot of experience in handling "difficult" topics ... and that experience is usually brought to bear at an appropriate time for a given topic. Obviously it was decided it was right to lock that topic at this time.

Right ... as for the "don't lock this it's rude", please, don't tell us how to maintain this board ;) That's rude too :)
Graham

Post by Graham »

You know, if you want to know why a topic was locked, a PM is generally more effective ;)

The reasoning for locking it is really quite simple - the exact same argument about it all being a "conspiracy" was played out on the main site almost exactly 2 months ago. It ended up being a resource sink there and had to be locked and there is no reason to think it would be any different for being on this board instead.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!
stubbers

Post by stubbers »

I can see your point in locking the topic, however was unable to locate the one you refer to on the main page. Most posters are sensible enough to know when their own topics are rolling out of control. But if you beleive there is no way that this topic could be more constructive feel free...
Magnotta

Post by Magnotta »

stubbers wrote: I can see your point in locking the topic, however was unable to locate the one you refer to on the main page.
It was deleted. I remember it quite well actually, it included some flash video about how the plane crash into the pentagon wasn't a plane, or was done by gov't, etc ect ect.
grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

I like to call it "opinion spam".

I'm heavily involved in activism and I frequent a number of activism oriented sites. However, I would not bring my activism here as it would be inappropriate. Education is key, and peddling your views is important. But you have to recognize when and where it is appropriate to do so else it just becomes opinion spam...an advertisement of your opinions.
I can't delete my signature.
stubbers

Post by stubbers »

grrrlromeo wrote: I like to call it "opinion spam".
I'm sorry if certain members of the community feel as though I was peddling my personal beleifs. I assure you, that was not my intent, I was simply providing the resources to begin a debate on the topic to keep myself and other members of this impatient community occupied

I'll try to think of something that hasn't been thought of yet next time I try to occupy this group of people :D
grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

Maybe something not so polarizing or sensitive....try making up a game. One that is popular on my board is group storytelling. One person starts off with a few sentences, then another person adds a few more and so on.
I can't delete my signature.