are people just that bored?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
ddhblt

are people just that bored?

Post by ddhblt »

Is it just me, or does it seem like there's an awful lot of effort going into hacking phpbb web sites?

Does anybody ever explore this phenom?

Are people really that bored? Or is there another agenda at work? Is someone possibly paying for this service?

Martin Blank

Re: are people just that bored?

Post by Martin Blank »

Community target focus moves around a bit. Firefox has been a frequent target, as has Ethereal. When a couple of bugs are found, people turn to those targets expecting to find more -- as they often do.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Magnotta

Post by Magnotta »

I think a high reason people target phpBB is because it's free, and the most popular of the free ones. After all, if your a hacker, are you going to spend a ton of money for a piece of software just to try and break it? or would you just grab something for free and see what you can do with that? I know I would take the free route. As for other free forums not getting as attacked, phpBB is also the most popular by far, also making it a target. So bewteen being popular and easy free access, it's no wonder it's an easy target. That said, unlike what many people have said, I think the dev's have done a great job patching and releasing fixes for all the problems so far. And remember, on average, vbulletin has actually released more updates than phpBB(remember, that's an average. phpBB=13 in 2 years. vbulletin=7 in far less than 2 years. As you can see, at that rate, vbulletin is releasing more security updates than phpBB).

ddhblt

Post by ddhblt »

Any possibility the "paid" companies are funding the hacking to redirect users to their software?

q3utom

Post by q3utom »

No I really doubt vB doing that or any other forum software company.

Magnotta

Post by Magnotta »

ya, I doubt that would happen. I was browsing the vbulletin board the othr day, and did a search for phpBB to see if people their trash it(since so many people come to phpBB.com to trash it for some reason :? ), and was pleasently suprised to see that the staff their actually reacts to stop people from posting bad things about phpBB.

Barren

Post by Barren »

Keep in mind that many hackers are actually pathetic geeks living in their parents' basement. By successfully attacking other sites, they get the feeling that they're accomplishing something. ;)

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Barren wrote: Keep in mind that many hackers are actually pathetic geeks living in their parents' basement. By successfully attacking other sites, they get the feeling that they're accomplishing something. ;)
Hey, I live in the attic!

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

the_dan wrote: Barren wrote:Keep in mind that many hackers are actually pathetic geeks living in their parents' basement. By successfully attacking other sites, they get the feeling that they're accomplishing something.

Hey, I live in the attic!
Lol, and now we are having a conversation about this whole thing. How bored must we be! :D

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

do note not all hackers are bad, white hackers are good. ( they look for exploits and other things and then notify it about it )

and bad hackers are mostly the persons who are lonely and dont have many friends. overall sad