Break-in this night :(

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Roberdin

Re: Break-in this night :(

Post by Roberdin »

Indeed, Americans do have an international reputation about taking excessive legal action.
Rob

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

isnt that a bit of topic?

0racle

Post by 0racle »

Did you have your private key on that box? I hope you've revoked it etc etc.
hi

BartVB
Trapped inside rank factory, send help!

Post by BartVB »

Nope, no really sensitive data on that box. Luckyly.. I am reading a bit about encrypted filesystems though for the new box :D Also going to setup rsnapshot to Amsterdam on the new box (and on my desktop that I'm currently abusing for development).

If you see burglar in your house here in The Netherlands you're only allowed to use 'reasonable force'. If I kill him because I hit him on the head a bit too hard with my baseball bat while he wasn't using deadly force towards me then I'm going to prison.

It has been a very interesting experience and it's a _very_ good motivation to finally implement a decent backup schema.. It extremely sucks that a very large part of my photo's is gone now ;( Creating the code again should be relatively easy because indeed the design takes most of the time (or at least the most effort :D).
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

BartVB wrote: If you see burglar in your house here in The Netherlands you're only allowed to use 'reasonable force'. If I kill him because I hit him on the head a bit too hard with my baseball bat while he wasn't using deadly force towards me then I'm going to prison.
Kneecaps. It's all about the kneecaps.

Dan

0racle

Post by 0racle »

... or the unmentionables :mrgreen:
hi

q3utom

Post by q3utom »

That is really annoying.
The only time our house has been hit was when we lived in London and as we came up to our house saw bunch of guys burst out of the house. Stole my dads canon SLR which wasn't cool.

They did steal the pc as well I think but was an old old one! Had paint on it despite being black and white only.

BartVB
Trapped inside rank factory, send help!

Post by BartVB »

Whohaaaaaaaa!

I have it back :) With all the data still on it (the burglars didn't know what to do with a linux box :D). I put some posters on the window mentioning that we wanted to buy it back and after some fussing about we were able to exchange the server for money.

/me is happy :D

All my pictures, code, documents, etc, etc, are back :D First thing I did was make decent backups on DVDs and going to setup rsnapshot with a server in Amsterdam ASAP :)
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

Darkmonkey

Post by Darkmonkey »

BartVB wrote: Whohaaaaaaaa!

I have it back :) With all the data still on it (the burglars didn't know what to do with a linux box :D). I put some posters on the window mentioning that we wanted to buy it back and after some fussing about we were able to exchange the server for money.

/me is happy :D

All my pictures, code, documents, etc, etc, are back :D First thing I did was make decent backups on DVDs and going to setup rsnapshot with a server in Amsterdam ASAP :)
Great to hear Bart :D

It seems you were lucky afterall
...they're watching you...

ve4jhj

Post by ve4jhj »

that's great to hear! glad you got it back without much of a problem.
NO PM or IM support offered!!
thank you!