An open apology, and some advise to people like me:

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
BMWGuy

An open apology, and some advise to people like me:

Post by BMWGuy »

The apology:

As time has gone on, I have begun to realize I have not been half as patient with the development as I could have been. I have, at times, expressed my occasional feelings of disbeilf concerning the actual progress that is being made on v2.2. I have also at times questioned the mods and admins concerning things to which I already know the answer too. Half of me wants to say, "hang-on.......be patient, it will be done in due time", and the other half of me naggs for me to remain on this board a moment longer.

For this, I apologise. I'm sure it can be very de-moralizing to the hard-working developers to here people deny that any progress is being made, when in fact, progress is indeed been made at a consistant pace. I can only imagine that the developers want to finish the first beta soon--even if to just get all of the whiners of their backs.

To people like me:

So, I admonish and encourage everyone here to stay with phpbb. Just because SMF is about to release thier first final edition, does not mean that it will be better than a small wait for an even better product (phpbb v2.2). Instead of complaining and demanding to know when it will be finished, why don't we stop and thank the developers for all that they have done. They litterally fund, sustain, support and develope the entire phpbb project by themselves. They do not even ask for our money.

.......and, because of their hard efforts, PhpBB has evolved in just 4 years to be the second largest BB-system on the net---trumped only by the overpriced vbulliten. There is currently over 1,000,000 phpBB boards out there. IPB doesn't even have half of that number.

So, thanks Phpbb. :)
Think that the developers have secretly stopped working on PhpBB v2.2? Think again........see the latest progress HERE:

psoTFX

Re: An open apology, and some advise to people like me:

Post by psoTFX »

If people want to use SMF that is there decision and they are free to make it. We don't wish to stop anyone using a system that works best for them. But you know what? I suggest anyone wishing to "skip town" because SMF is "due out" (after charging for early access to pre-release versions ... their decision but an important point to remember ... but then some people refuse to learn from history) read comments of how other people rushed to something else because it had X dozen new features ... a significant number concluded they didn't do what they wanted in the way they wanted and they returned here.

Not sure how many times I've said this, it's called "feature envy" ... "ooohh it's got X, Y and Z ... it must be better", sure whatever.

BMWGuy

Post by BMWGuy »

I certainly agree. The only reason I mention SMF in this forum was to demonstrate this fact:

"PhpBB v2.2 might have taken slightly longer than SMF to develope, but the resulting phpBB v2.2 will be far better (in looks, server/database compatibilty, and yes........in features, too) than SMF is."

Quite frankly, there are so many features that phpBB v2.2 will have that SMF doesn't, that leaves only one explanation why people would use SMF...............................too impatient to wait another few months.

Just watch though, I'll bet you anything that we will re-gain all of the former phpbb people who left us for SMF, once the first beta is released.

Betas are, by definition, "buggy", but a beta is still technically a "release" in people's minds.

At any rate, the point of my original post in this thread is this: I really, really, really appreciate everyone's hard work, time, and $$$ that they have put into developing phpBB. And, I'm truly sorry for anything I may have said in the recent past that would have suggested otherwise. :)
Think that the developers have secretly stopped working on PhpBB v2.2? Think again........see the latest progress HERE:

president

Post by president »

*hugs to everyone* :mrgreen:

*cracks whip* Get Back to Work Paul! I'm the only Paul allowed to take 5 minutes off ;)
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
dhn wrote: You are the admin, learn how to use phpBB 3.0 and you can do exactly that what you want. Satisfy your users.

olger901

Post by olger901 »

I will definately wait for phpBB 2.2 because it's great, I tried one CVS version just to approximately see what features it will and won't have and I must say it looks alot better then SMF does, also the SMF Permission System is one Big Chaos and doesn't work handy, the one that will come with phpBB 2.2 is alot easier :) and just watch as soon as phpBB 2.2 is finished I bet you will see people come and running back to phpBB from SMF :)
-

BMWGuy

Post by BMWGuy »

just watch as soon as phpBB 2.2 is finished I bet you will see people come and running back to phpBB from SMF
my thoughts exactly. ;)

CLee

Post by CLee »

This isn't the place to compare phpBB with other boards. And there is an unofficial gentlemanly agreement not to discuss other boards either, no matter how much they dog phpBB in return.
Carlos Myers
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club

BMWGuy

Post by BMWGuy »

We are not trying to slam any other boards. We are just showing our distaste for those who are only as loyal as their impatient nature permits them to be. :)

Viperal2

Post by Viperal2 »

No bashing here,
But when i look at SMF i see phpnuke.. Just a like anti FB hummer.

Actually looked into there code work when i when to check at there method used in there karma system. 8O

Its there first release so can complain much, although it not at a level to compete with the big guys. Hopefully by release 2 they get up there. But even with a new developent, hell it more of a reason why they should be at the standard there at now. Atleast a DB protocal would be ok for me to say it getting there ..

It up to the user to decide, but I say there not there yet. But hopefully they will in there next major ( 2 vers. ) release.

Recommendation wait ;) .
What is The Viperal ?

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/viperals/" target="_blank

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

Viperal2 wrote:Recommendation wait
** I have to agree completely, but reminds me of that old buzzard "waiting" joke -- one buzzard looks over at the other buzzard and says, I'm tired of waiting for something to die, I want to go kill something... :) **