The new phpBB version - Guess the Release Date Competition

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
gweilo8888

Re: phpBB 2.2 - Guess the Release Date Competition

Post by gweilo8888 »

Barren wrote:It's been explained that since phpBB 2.2 won't come out this year, they'll use the date it goes itno beta for the contest instead.
This all presumes that the beta comes out before December 31st. Personally, I doubt it will - at which point every single person who entered a vote through the form will be wrong, and the contest will become a non-event.

Seventeen more days to go and we'll find out if I'm right. As was pointed out absolutely ages ago, the option to vote for dates in 2005 needs to be given...

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

5 Hours till I loose :(

Dan

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

They only said the "closest guess" will win so you can still win if it comes out after your guess, so don't give up yet... :)

Indeed -- if it comes out after 31 Dec, then the first person who guessed 31 Dec 2004 should indeed win :) because the closest guess is suppose to win. Plus one could argue that a "release date" is not for a CVS, not for beta, and not for a RC date, but the actual "phpBB 2.2" release date as noted from the rules and the entry.php page used for guessing.

Yes we all know that phpBB 2.2 is not coming out this year although the developers have and are doing a great job IMO, but I confess to having guessed 31 Dec to allow the maximum possible amount of time because only 2004 dates were allowed in the guess, but the closest guess is suppose to win. But I am sure that others guessed 31 Dec 2004 also and most likely guessed and entered 31 Dec before I did, but if not, then I deserve, demand, and want my phpBB plush bear on New Years Day, no sooner and no later... :)

** more seriously I also want the developers to enjoy their holiday time with family and take needed time to rest if desired. Thank God :) we get a week off at Christmas from work and I surely know that the time off helps to recharge our batteries **

gweilo8888

Post by gweilo8888 »

I'm still expecting my guess from the second page of this topic to be fairly close - and I am expecting that to be for the beta, most likely. The final release, well - maybe 1-3 months after that.

It is still just a guess, but I think a realistic one.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Hopefully the database of dates will be cleared and we will get to choose a 2005 date, if the person that choose Dec 31st 2004 wins, and it's released August 20th 2005.. well, it's not exactly close is it :lol:
Customisations Team

gweilo8888

Post by gweilo8888 »

battye wrote:Hopefully the database of dates will be cleared and we will get to choose a 2005 date, if the person that choose Dec 31st 2004 wins, and it's released August 20th 2005.. well, it's not exactly close is it :lol:
True, plus there's probably a dozen people who guessed closer dates in this thread.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Natan wrote:Now I know that it'll be BEFORE christmas. :-D
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 07#1291707" target="_blank ;)
Customisations Team

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

gweilo8888 wrote:
battye wrote:Hopefully the database of dates will be cleared and we will get to choose a 2005 date, if the person that choose Dec 31st 2004 wins, and it's released August 20th 2005.. well, it's not exactly close is it :lol:
True, plus there's probably a dozen people who guessed closer dates in this thread.
Yeah, maybe another drop down box was needed: 2004, 2005, 2006 and for the truly daring 2007 :lol:
Customisations Team

gweilo8888

Post by gweilo8888 »

battye wrote:
Natan wrote:Now I know that it'll be BEFORE christmas. :-D
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 07#1291707" target="_blank ;)
You people are reading WAY too much into this, I think. I don't see a better than 5% chance of it coming out in the next two days... ;)

Natan

Post by Natan »

psoTFX just said the other day that it'll probably be late january/ early feb. for the Beta release:
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22/viewtop ... 773#103773" target="_blank
I can say there is a tentative schedule I'm going to try and impose to get the beta out by late January/early February. Beyond that the users will dictate the schedule till RC2 with the discovery of bugs and other issues and the finalising of permissions, styling and one or two other elements.
Edit, and with that post, I just found another cool feature! When you link an entire URL, it shortens it on the viewing page to just the viewtopic.php with the page number on it. Very cool :)
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."