Firefox 0.9

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
SuperSonic

Re: Firefox 0.9

Post by SuperSonic »

Opera is for me waaay too overloaded. I expect a minimal interface with maximum functionality :) That's why I stick to classic Mozilla for some time now. Firefox doesn't really appeal to me mostly because to use the Google (or any other) search I need to go to a separate input box. In Mozilla I can type the search term right into the address bar, push the down key twice and hit enter. Quick'n'clean :)

Popup blocking is fine, but the popups are getting more sophisticated nowadays. Most are being switched to 'event generated', like being opened on a click and not page load/unload.
Mike SuperSonic .:. www.nethut.pl
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. Isaac Asimov

MoonBuggy

Post by MoonBuggy »

I've got Firefox configured to automagically search google.co.uk from the address bar - just go to the about:config screen, find the keyword.URL option and change the string to http://www.google.co.uk/search?&q=" target="_blank (substitute .co.uk for country of your choice). Any term entered into the address bar that isn't an actual web address will be googled.

Firefox is extremely configurable (as shown there) but at this stage it usually involves delving into the about:config screen rather than the normal menus.
"that's why I lie in ponds wrapped in my sleeping bag going 'bloop' all night long" - Pit, on IRC

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

I thought it did that already?

Anyway, my love affair with it was increased, when I typed function names into the address bar and got taken to the revelant PHP Manual pages. Saved me at least one click!

Dan

MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

RyanThaDude29 wrote:firefox + adblock = hard_to_beat :)
AdBlock can't block the annoying Lycos ads they force on the free sites they host. I leave my Norton Personal Firewall to block those annoying ads, banners, and other flash ads. AdBlock didn't do much. Also, check out "NukeAnything" as a FireFox extension- it literally "nukes" it. (It removes the object from the page.)'

Mozilla ThunderBird's been at version 0.7 for a while now, so check it out at http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird" target="_blank . It's a good replacement for Outlook and possibly Eudora.

An overlooked feature of FireFox's address bar, AFAIK, is the "dict [word]" feature. Type in "dict [word]" and it automatically searches it at dictionary.com. It's not as useful as the search engine add-ons, though.

Now, all FireFox needs is compatibility with IE-based applications. Most Netscape apps I've tried used to work ok with FireFox, as it's Gecko-based. But nevertheless compatibility would be best.
Former phpBB MOD Team Member - No support offered via IM, PM, or email

Alegis

Post by Alegis »

Thats the exact thing some have been calling a benefit for no reason at lfn (loopholes :\). It will never have the same compatibility as programs that act like an addon for IE (AVANT!) Oh well, to each his own!

Shining Arcanine

Post by Shining Arcanine »

Roberdin wrote:www.mozilla.com/products/firefox/. :D

New skin looks great, and the new method of managing extensions and themes is a good improvement. If you are still using Internet Explorer (why????) then this is a good time to swap. ;)
I think I'll stick with IE. After a discussion with Tony Chor about IE at Channel9 and the fact that the IE team is taking suggestions right now:

http://blogs.msdn.com/dmassy/archive/20 ... 57263.aspx" target="_blank

I'm positive that IE7 in Longhorn will be great. :D

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Shining Arcanine wrote: I think I'll stick with IE. After a discussion with Tony Chor about IE at Channel9 and the fact that the IE team is taking suggestions right now:

http://blogs.msdn.com/dmassy/archive/20 ... 57263.aspx" target="_blank

I'm positive that IE7 in Longhorn will be great. :D
Ace... wait for vapourware which is at least 1.5 years away and may or may not fix the issues which have dogged IE for over 6 years now, yet there are over half a dozen alternate browsers which are standards compliant to the point of anally retentive.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

Alegis wrote:Thats the exact thing some have been calling a benefit for no reason at lfn (loopholes :\). It will never have the same compatibility as programs that act like an addon for IE (AVANT!) Oh well, to each his own!
Hmm I haven't experienced any incompatibilities with LF or EB yet, using FireFox. Pages load up faster though, and that helps with viewing forum threads. One nice compatibility FireFox needs is better JavaScript support. I made a "seizure" page using JavaScript that runs for 5-10 seconds. It absolutely does not work with FireFox, and doesn't show any errors in my JavaScript Console. :?

I took a look at Avant, it looks ok. I still prefer FireFox though. :P I've also tried out MyIE2- it's pathetic IMHO. I couldn't even find how to open links in the same tab. :oops: Every link I clicked opened in a new tab, and the tabs were not aesthetic enough for my taste. :P

IE7 in Longhorn better not load up corrupted documents. (Unlike FireFox, IE still attempts to load up corrupted pages even after it detects that it's corrupted. tsk tsk) I bet IE7 in Longhorn will be full of pro-Windows Update spyware. I've never used Windows Update myself; (I still run a Windows 98SE computer... no NT OS yet.) even when Microsoft supported 98.
Former phpBB MOD Team Member - No support offered via IM, PM, or email

XIII

Post by XIII »

Meh, I love Firefox, but until it starts rendering pages consistently (slashdot bug is still in there) and trashes my logins every other day I'll keep using IE on the side.
And I'm sticking with the Noia skin :)

Viperal2

Post by Viperal2 »

XIII wrote:Meh, I love Firefox, but until it starts rendering pages consistently (slashdot bug is still in there) and trashes my logins every other day I'll keep using IE on the side.
And I'm sticking with the Noia skin :)
Never had that problem

Anyway, Firefox is by far the best. And is allway up to standard. It the only broswer that support XHTML corrct along with better support for PNG. If M$ is to lazy to add these support then hell with them let the save it for longhom what do i care.

Don't almost all the built in stuff in XP anyway. Winamp, Firefox, zonearlam, etc. The only thing the have that great and unreplaceable yet is the M$ Office stuff. ;)
What is The Viperal ?

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/viperals/" target="_blank