Useful.

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Darkshines

Useful.

Post by Darkshines »

When posting requests or posting replies to existing requests please only do so if you have something useful to add. For example, if you too would like to see something added say "I was going to suggest this too" or somesuch. Please do not post comments which question why the request was made, or suggest methods of implementation, etc.

Thanks
psoTFX and I seem to have directly opposite definitions of "useful" :?

Why is the latter type of comment not useful, and why is the former useful (apart from perhaps to estimate how much demand there is for a particular feature) ?
Then again...
psoTFX

Re: Useful.

Post by psoTFX »

Because I see no benefit in someone saying "I see no point in that" or "Don't include that, please!". There are always people that "take offence" (sometimes strongly ... as I noted in a reply @ thebearspot) at some new features. However their fears are typically unfounded.

For trully worthless features our own "common sense" will lead to a quick "No". For features which are at odds with our general direction a quick "No" will similarly follow. In the majority of other cases where some users may find something pointless the said feature is likely to be optional anyway. For the (small number of) remaining cases there is typically a strong reason for the change ... and one that isn't likely to be altered by a few people saying "Don't do that!".

Thus IMO the only thing that is worthwhile to us is for other people to say "Yes, I'd like that too" or "I was thinking along similar lines except for the addition of X, Y and Z", etc.
cgranade

Post by cgranade »

So does this mean that I'm in trouble for making implementation suggestions before you posted that addendum? I just want to help, but haven't learned php yet... I'm a Java/XHTML programmer mainly... so I wanted to contribute general ideas for implementation.
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

I've often been moaned at in the past for refusing patches, implementation suggestions, etc. In general I prefer to ignore these mainly because other people cannot see inside my (or these days Acyd Burn or Ashe's) head :) IOW one mans patch is another mans day and half of screaming and shouting trying to make it work or fit it in with some other new feature :D
cgranade

Post by cgranade »

/me walks away in shame... mumbles an embarressed apology to psoTFX as he leaves.
Really, though, I did think I was helping in giving conceptual ideas, but I guess I oughta eat those words. Mmmm.... crunchy.