Has working on PHPBB yeilded any JOBS?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(

Has working on PHPBB yeilded any JOBS?

Post by Guest »

I was wondering if this project has yielded any jobs for any of the guys who have spent time and effort developing this wonderful product?

I too would like to contribute to open source (PHP) and if possible attract the attention of a possible employer!

cheers,
KB

Techie-Micheal

Re: Has working on PHPBB yeilded any JOBS?

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Sort of. :P I noted in my resume (and I don't feel like putting in the accent marks. :D) that I volunteered tech support for phpBB.com and he was interested, but that wasn't why I got the job.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

No, hasn't done anything for me.

theFinn

Post by theFinn »

In other word's please hire Paul ;)

It's on my resume as well but I don't know if it's been infulential in getting me a job. Since I've been employed as a PHP programmer for the past 3 years I'm sure it's helped somewhat :)
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
'On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero...' - Jack, Fight Club
http://www.thefinn.net

Thank you for answering

Post by Guest »

Ok, thx for answering.

The situation is I've been designing/programming the end all CMS of CMSs for PHP. I am currently in school though out for the summer and this project has gone on for about 2 years so far. I started a company and wanted to produce it in similar fasion as http://www.vbulletin.com" target="_blank (your DHTML URL button seems to be giving me undefined). The point is I'm all so releasing it to the public due to projects like http://www.xaraya.com." target="_blank I can't compete with 100 people all THINING on a problem even though my designs are excellent. Eventually they will catch up. lol, eventually. :wink:

So that's my pickle. You see? I would like to GET something out of all my work. All the designs are so fluid and well thought out, it would burn me if someone else made a buck off of the work I toiled to make exist, sweat ect. Whoa is me. lol

Anyhow, if you guys have any comments I will surely listen.

Cheers,
KB

PS: Great work guys, you've really come a long way since PHPBB 1.

miraclewhipkey

Post by miraclewhipkey »

I know where you are coming from. I am the benefactor of lots of GPL scripts and software, and I have wondered myself how these folks could spend so much time and effort on this stuff. I was hoping that it yielded some kind of fruit, but maybe not.

I know for myself, and my phpBB board, I only spend time on mods and tweaks that I can actually use on my site. And furthermore, the stuff that I've modified is written quickly and so I wouldn't feel that it is clean enough to release publicly. So I spend some downtime at work on the phpBB support forums because it helps me learn as I try to figure out other problems, but I don't have the time to spend working on mods, writing software for free public use, etc... especially if there's no real benefit for it, other than some respect of some people who use the product.

I do have to give big props (compliments) to those people who do that stuff.

Bertg

Post by Bertg »

hire paul???

but will he still make 2.2???

-bert-
Portfolio | Proud to be phpBB user

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

I'm not a phpBB developer, but i'm creating styles for it and thanks to phpbb i'm getting lot of web design work. Almost all my clients come from different phpBB forums that use my styles.

graphic

Post by graphic »

//should be start quote
theFinn wrote:In other word's please hire Paul ;)

It's on my resume as well but I don't know if it's been infulential in getting me a job. Since I've been employed as a PHP programmer for the past 3 years I'm sure it's helped somewhat :)
//should be end quote here

WOW a PHP programmer. That must be nice!
I didn't know they had those. I just did a search on Monster.com and actually had quite a few results.

Around here employers don't know what PHP is. If it isn't MS they don't use it. I work for a fortune 500 company in Chattanooga, and I think I am about the only guy who knows what PHP is here.

I am a VB6 and VBA developer!! YITES! I hate VBA :(
Some weird'o writes 6 20,000 line VBA apps in MS Word, and they give it to the IT department to manage!! grrrr...... :evil: :evil:

the compainy is going to C# now. I probably wont see any of that development for a year or so where I am.

I couldn't imagine getting paid to write in PHP. That must be so much fun.
Although I assumed PHP was for smaller to medium sized websites.
Last edited by graphic on Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What Is Real!? Coming 2005
Latest phpBB2 Styles: [What Is Real!?] [Avalanche]

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

In reality, PHP powers many (if not most) university web sites, part of NASA's site, and of cource all 600,000+ phpBBs out there :D
A_Jelly_Doughnut