What are the competitors doing???

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(

What are the competitors doing???

Post by Guest »

-Invision Board: Release Version 1.2 at June 15 2003
-vbulletin: Release Beta 3 at June 13 2003
-phpBB: "it's done when it's done" :(

psoTFX

Re: What are the competitors doing???

Post by psoTFX »

and? I'm not going to rush this release and unlike those two boards we don't recieve a single penny for our time at present. If you want to use one of those boards please feel free to do so ... else I'm afraid the "done when it's done" line is the best we can manage.

TC

Post by TC »

so, would you rather have a date that gets pushed back multiple times anyway? please.

i couldn't be happier with the pace of development, pso. :)
2 8 : 0 6 : 4 2 : 1 2

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

I should add that vB3 has been in (acknowledged) development since not long after phpBB 2.0.0 was released. IPB 1.2 is an evolutionary development of IPB 1.1 which was derived from IPB 1.0 which was ... well, we know the history. So, in both cases it's no shock they can set definite dates for the release of their next versions.

phpBB 2.2 has been in active development for a short period. Another thread here asked when development started. While it "technically" began the moment 2.0.0 was release in practice it didn't really get going for months.

Post by Guest »

Hello,

my post above was only for information.
I agree with you - do not hurry.

But I am a little bit angry about the "ads" like banners and signatures from users: "phpBB22 is coming...", "it will be released soon" (even when the do not know it). They should make this when the first RC is out, but not before.

By the way - while writing this post a message appeared:
Since the beginning of your reply, new posts were added to this topic. You are able to review these posts now, to change yours accordingly.
This reminder will be displayed only once, if you press submit the next time your post will be stored.
That's good!

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

No one in any team has said "it will be available soon". All the banners say "Coming soon ... " or some such. I was the one that asked people to start doing this. We've lost a number of users to vB and IPB (though it's true to say a fair number have later returned) because people were unaware of the existence of 2.2.

We'd rather people stay with phpBB than go through the trouble of converting to another board and then converting back (with the problems this can cause) ... just because they don't know that 2.2 contains a feature they deem "critical" for further use of phpBB.

I'd add that "other" sites do a good job of discussion phpBB's "shortcomings" (though a shortcoming to one person is an unwanted feature to another ;)) while "forgetting" to mention the existence of phpBB 2.2... so we need all the ammunition we can get to limit the "damage" such talk can do.

Bertg

Post by Bertg »

hmm, i indeed also think you should take your time...
as you might know, moste "hurry-hurry" software contains about 60-70% bugs...
talking windows (especialy Me)
so the longer it takes the better it is...

-bert-
Portfolio | Proud to be phpBB user

SilverSnake8

Post by SilverSnake8 »

Bertg wrote:so the longer it takes the better it is...

-bert-
let's not go overboard now :wink:
Yea, so I don't like Bush! :P

Bertg

Post by Bertg »

do mind the "is"...
i said how longer it takes the better it is (it is refering to the code)
now indeed...
the sorter it takes the better (for us)

so paul will have to find the right balance...

-bert-
Portfolio | Proud to be phpBB user

TheMole

Post by TheMole »

To be honest I don't think there is much from 2.0.x that was missing, or maybe it's just me that uses a forum to, ummm, talk with friends and stuff. :)
"It's a fiction like all history, it's been distorted until it makes sense" - Andy Yorke