How do I edit SQL tables?

Discussion on a SQL Parser for EasyMOD
ham1299

How do I edit SQL tables?

Post by ham1299 »

I have a mod I tried to install that easymod did install, but it said some error about not doing the SQL changes. And, without that, the mod isn't working. How can I go in and make those changes? Can anyone help?
Heather

Nightrider

Re: How do I edit SQL tables?

Post by Nightrider »

phpMyAdmin - Manually Applying SQL Code

The following is how you apply your SQL code manually to your phpMyAdmin database. You can get into your database through your CPanel by clicking on phpMyAdmin. Follow the following instructions:

I'm sure that every host is different. I will tell you how I run my queries manually and hopefully it will be close to what you have available to you. The following may or may not be similar to what you have...

Log into your domain Control Panel and find the database icons. You should be able to find the phpMyAdmin icon. Click on it...

Hopefully that will log you into your phpAdmin panel. You may need to provide a username and password...

In the phpMyAdmin panel, click on the Databases hyperlink...

Hopefully that should take you where you can select your database. You may only have one. Select your database hyperlink...

That should open up the display of all the tables in your database. Ignore them. Somewhere on the page, you should see something similar to this:

Click on the SQL tab to display something like the following where you can copy all of the SQL commands in at once:

Click on the Go button and the queries will be run. If all goes well, you will be told that the commands were executed successfully. Otherwise you will see a screen that tells you which command failed. If the columns that you are trying to add already exist, a duplicate will not be added...

Hopefully my instructions above are close to what you would see on your domain. If not, perhaps you could provide some screenshots of what you have available and we can figure out what you need to do. I use Gadwin Printscreen to create the screenshots and www.ImageShack.us to host them so they can be posted here...

ham1299

Post by ham1299 »

I'm sorry I didn't respond before now. I didn't get an e-mail so I thought no one replied! :oops: Anyway, thank you so much. That helps tremendously. Unfortunately, I still have my problem, but I think I'm on the right track. Now to check the mod and see if I can find what the problem is .... again, thanks!
Heather

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

You don't have to apologize. I'm more concerned about resolving your problem and we can do that on your schedule, not mine...

So what is your current error? Perhaps that would give us a clue of what to try to fix it...

ham1299

Post by ham1299 »

I suppose I should tell you what I'm trying to install first. It's this:
Advanced Vote Manager 1.0.2 vote_manage.1.0.2.mod

I tried to manually fix it and now I have no idea what I did. I was close, but not there. and somehow I messed it up. Here's the latest error I'm getting:
General Error

Could not obtain vote data for this topic

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DESC, vr.vote_option_id, vr.vote_option_text, vr.vote_result

SELECT vd.vote_id, vd.vote_text, vd.vote_start, vd.vote_length, vd.vote_max, vd.vote_voted, vd.vote_hide, vd.vote_undo, vr.vote_result DESC, vr.vote_option_id, vr.vote_option_text, vr.vote_result FROM phpbb_vote_desc vd, phpbb_vote_results vr WHERE vd.topic_id = 50 AND vr.vote_id = vd.vote_id ORDER BY vr.vote_result DESC,vr.vote_option_id ASC

Line : 690
File : viewtopic.php
Heather

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Yes, I see why there is an error. Could you provide a link to the MOD download and a text link to the viewtopic.php file???

Creating text Links for phpBB files

First create a duplicate of the phpBB file on your PC, then rename the file by adding .txt to the end of the file name. Next upload the file to a location on your FTP Server accessible to the public and provide a link back here for us to analyze it...

The path to your file could look something like this now:

Code: Select all

http://yourdomain.com/downloads_folder/viewtopic.php.txt

ham1299

Post by ham1299 »

OK. I believe this is where I got the Mod:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=389862

Oh, and for what it's worth, I did initially use EasyMod to install it. And, at first, it was working. I'm not sure what I did to mess it up ...

I'll BRB with the viewtopic.php file.
Heather

ham1299

Post by ham1299 »

I'm not entirely sure how to go about making the file so you can access it. But, here's where it is:

ftp://frogsgroup.com/downloads_folder/viewtopic.php.txt" target="_blank

How do I get it so you can see it?
Heather

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Ok, the link to your viewtopic.php.txt requires a username and password, which obviously I don't have. I successfully downloaded the Vote Manage MOD...

I can also see where you made your mistake when you manually modified the viewtopic.php file. I can tell you how to correct it when I see a text link that I can download to the file...

If you made this kind of mistake when manually installing the MOD, I highly recommend that you restore your backups and use EM. It is possible that you repeated the IN-LINE error in several phpBB files...

If you could use EM, I could walk you through any conflicts that you might encounter...

ham1299

Post by ham1299 »

Well, I already used EM. Is there a way to make it so I can use EM again?
Heather