Yahoo messenger contact field.

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Yahoo messenger contact field.

Post by DavidIQ »

The suggestion is not a matter of changing a broken link to a new link. The suggestion is to use another page mode for allowing access to Yahoo! messenger much like WLM does now. I'm surprised you don't see doing that, adding multiple lines of code to totally change how something works, as new functionality... :|

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Well MSN Already uses that page, all we have to do is modify just a few lines into its template and the php files.
What if we change the way it works? :?
As a replacement i guess you could just add a link to the user profile. Still, if this isnt going to me included in the next release, i might try making a MOD that ads that.
Previous user: TheKiller

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

I'd still go the route callum mentioned and create a ticket. Your "MOD" should just be a pull request. Try it! You might just like it and do more. ;)

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I didnt start making the mod as i couldnt figure out in what files i should do the modifcations.
Does the dev team agree on doing this?
If so, then maybe someone else will agree to make the patch. Letting the broken ym web page there is useless.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I see that no one fixed this issue yet so i decided to create a ticket. Maybe the dev team will make a decision on how they would want to fix this.
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-13098

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

The Yahoo contact field has been broken for at least three years now and no one took any action to fix it even though it was reported at the time.
Actually this is the first time this has been reported, unless you've just created a duplicate ticket. Creating this topic on the forum does not mean you reported anything. This is why you should have created the ticket three years ago as was suggested. ;-)
Better late than never I guess? :mrgreen:

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Yes, well, as i previously said here. I wanted people to agree/decide on what it should be replaced with before sending a suggestion. As nobody replied, i didnt give it importance and i abandoned. after i looked at the new contact area, i noticed the old and broken url still hasnt been fixed.....so.... here we are !

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Yes, if it doesn't work, it really should be fixed. Maybe a lot of people don't use YIM nowadays, but why ship phpBB with a version that's broken from the start.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

DavidIQ wrote:Why don't you just create a ticket and send a pull request for the fix? ;)
I don't think using the ymsgr link "protocol" will be a good idea though as it would likely bomb on mobile devices or even computers without Yahoo! messenger installed, etc.
I just noticed that a Skype prefix/protocol link has been added into the phpbb user profile so im going to stick my tongue at you ! :P

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

:lol: :lol:
Sometimes one regrets the things one said and did in years past. :mrgreen: