QR in current SVN

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
bolverk
I've been banned

QR in current SVN

Post by bolverk »

In examining the latest SVN to gather a baseline of default settings I saw that QR is enabled by default globally and disabled by default under individual forum settings. Is this the intended configuration or will you be changing the global setting to disabled before release? I ask because during the discussion that took place after the blog post announcement there were several statements regarding it being defaulted to off, and I think many assumed the feature would be disabled by default at a global level.

**edit**
Just to be fair I will allow 24 hours for a reply here but if this board is as dead and deserted as it appears from a development discussion perspective, I will repost this topic on the main site community board.

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Re: QR in current SVN

Post by Kellanved »

Interesting notion of fairness :lol:

QR will be disabled in the release packages.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

QR is disabled by default (due to it being disabled for existing and new forums). It is enabled globally to circumvent support requests of the like: "hey, i enabled it in the forums, why does it not show up?! YUO!!!"

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

:lol: So QR is and will be enabled by default when released. The individual forum setting being defaulted to 'No' is not the same as saying the feature is disabled by default. Thanks for clearing that up. :P
Allow quick reply:
This setting defines if quick reply is enabled or not. If this setting is enabled, forums need to have their quick reply option enabled too.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

bolverk wrote:The individual forum setting being defaulted to 'No' is not the same as saying the feature is disabled by default.
Of course this depends on your definition of "feature is disabled by default", but if I create a forum and leave all the settings as they are (some might say, 'at their defaults'), then Quick Reply will not be enabled for that forum. This applies to every forum I create; so I have to go out of my way to turn it on. Surely this is a more useful definition of "default" than, "it's turned on by default, yes, but you do need to turn it on where you want to use it". =]
Rob

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

:lol:
Roberdin wrote: Of course this depends on your definition of "feature is disabled by default"
This is their definition right from the ACP: (which is why I quoted it in the first place)
Allow quick reply:
This setting defines if quick reply is enabled or not. If this setting is enabled, forums need to have their quick reply option enabled too.
The feature is enabled and disabled from that menu, I think the fact that it is defaulted to 'Yes' is pretty definitive. ;) "The feature is enabled by default" is the correct statement in that case. :P

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

The logic is quite simple:

The feature is enabled iff it is both enabled globally and locally. It is logic:
qr_enabled = qr_enabled_globally ∧ ∃ x. qr_enabled_locally x

Or reversed, QR is disabled:

qr_disabled = ¬qr_enabled_globally ∨ ∀ x. ¬qr_enabled_locally x

Cheers,
~H
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

bolverk wrote:This is their definition right from the ACP: (which is why I quoted it in the first place)
Perhaps their definition should be, "This setting defines whether quick reply can be enabled or not. If it is set to "off", quick reply will be disabled regardless of per-forum settings."
Rob

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Basically, as I understand it, QR is able to be globally enabled/disabled in the general settings. If it is disabled globally, it doesn't matter if you have it on or off in individual forums because it won't show up. The default setting for each forum is for it to be turned off. So, even if it is enabled by default in the global settings, it will only show up if it is turned on in an individual forum. Not too difficult to understand, really. But thanks for clearing that up.

And Acyd Burn is right... if they had it disabled by default, someone would be smart enough to turn it on in one forum but whine when it didn't show up. So it's best just to have it enabled by default to avoid confusion.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

Hopefully posting my response this morning to yet another PM will address any future PM's as well as posts in this topic, which I started and was answered to my satisfaction days ago. Such a simple question asking for clarification on a default setting. *sigh*
bolverk wrote:I have electric power in my home. It defaults to "enabled" if I have my master breaker switched on, and assuming I pay my monthly bill ;-) If I do not have any equipment using electricity at any given (i.e. nothing is plugged in) time, does that mean my power is disabled? <- rhetorical :D

The *feature* is enabled by default, or was, henry changed it in SVN after he read this topic. :P

Here is the flawed argument the team was making:

A. QR is enabled globally by default.

B. The per forum QR switch is defaulted to off.

Their argument is that B is what defines whether QR is enabled or disabled by default. Incorrect. For that to be true then B would control A. And yet in the ACP it is stated quite clearly the opposite.
The attachment forumqr.jpg is no longer available
Had they said this: "The QR feature is enabled globally by default but disabled by default at the forum level." that would have been accurate. Instead they said "QR is disabled by default."
Language is a beautiful thing. ;)

Spilled milk anyway, it's already been cleaned up. ;)
http://code.phpbb.com/repositories/revision/phpbb/9878
image that I had attached not displayed in quote:
forumqr.jpg
forumqr.jpg (12.04 KiB) Viewed 22339 times