Again about Attachments Management

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
jumborex

Again about Attachments Management

Post by jumborex »

Recently we decided to open our Board where also registred users may upload an attachment. My question is, why attachment management is only made in a generic way, and cannot be limited according to the rank of the User?
I mean, an Admin, may have no limitation (for example). A common Registered User may only upload images, not bigger than 200K...
I think this would be realy Useful. :geek:
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
(Thomas Alva Edison)

Dog Cow

Re: Again about Attachments Management

Post by Dog Cow »

I think the thought was that group-based permissions would be a better solution.

jumborex

Post by jumborex »

Dog Cow wrote:I think the thought was that group-based permissions would be a better solution.
This is not the point: with this method (if I understand correctly) you may give permission to upload, or not give it. Only certain groups may upload, some other no.
Often you need to garantee a full permission, (high bytes quota, all type of files) to admins, allowing only images (this is en axample), and a small dimension for all regular users, plus Excel files for moderators, etc.

What I say is that attachment permission should be designed according to the ranks.
And mantaining also the forum permission, the group permission as at the present time.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
(Thomas Alva Edison)

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

Ranks have never been used by phpBB to control permissions they are merely a user facing representation of status.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM