Full Automatic Update

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
z2z

Full Automatic Update

Post by z2z »

Wordpress like auto update ... lazy me :P
-Download update package
-Backups db & files if chosen

Discuss..

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Full Automatic Update

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

z2z wrote:Wordpress like auto update ... lazy me :P
-Download update package
-Backups db & files if chosen

Discuss..
I don't see a question in there at all, could you try again and ask whatever question you have.
Then we would be happy to answer it to the best of our abilities.

thanks,
robert

philkoury

Post by philkoury »

It looks like he is wondering if there will ever be an automatic update process like that of Wordpress.

In Wordpress when you have a plugin installed you can update it directly from within your Admin utility. This is great as you are notified when a new version is available. Now you can even update your Wordpress installation from the admin utility just by the click of a button.

darcie
Community Team
Community Team

Post by darcie »

IMO, phpBB is simply too complex to update this way. The current Automatic Updater does almost this- the system tab alerts the admin of a new version available and provides a link to the download page. But I think the file review and choosing to merge files is necessary. Wordpress has modules and plug-ins; phpBB has MODs (modifications) that add to or alter code. It is much different. I just don't see how the Wordpress style of updating would work on something as complex as phpBB3.

philkoury

Post by philkoury »

I do understand that the coding is more complex, but there would be no way to make that happen?

What about how Wordpress is written? Is there anyway PHPBB could function using that theory of coding? I'm not even going to act like I am advanced enough to understand but I'm sure there has to be some way of making the coding function a similar way. I am sure something like that would move PHPBB miles ahead of any competitor board. Although I feel like it is already way ahead of its time, something like automatic update and easy plug-in installation of modules that act as MODs would be absolute insanity! :mrgreen:

philkoury

Post by philkoury »

Guess not?

bobbob

Post by bobbob »

wordpress does have a very easy, user friendly and simplistic updating process.. though it doesn't have a backup and restore utility ..
darcie wrote:IMO, phpBB is simply too complex to update this way. The current Automatic Updater does almost this- the system tab alerts the admin of a new version available and provides a link to the download page. But I think the file review and choosing to merge files is necessary. Wordpress has modules and plug-ins; phpBB has MODs (modifications) that add to or alter code. It is much different. I just don't see how the Wordpress style of updating would work on something as complex as phpBB3.
Do you think that the Modules and plug-ins .. is a better system than modifying existing code?