Many minor issues

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Enom

Many minor issues

Post by Enom »

This time I brought a lot of minor wishes for future versions (many of them taken from other topics and compiled here):
1) There should be native Skype and Google Talk fields in the profile.
2) In my opinion this blue default skin sucks. Also, the old subsilver is much more beautiful then the actual one.
3) There should be an option in the ACP to disable the confirmation pages after posts.
4) It would be a nice ideia to have an option to ban users automatically when they reach X warnings (configured in ACP).
5) The "Save" button in the post screen is useless.
6) Post views should not be incremented by spider engines (bots) anymore.
7) The forum permissions should be made easyer to configure. Actually it's very confusing and workfull.
8) There should be no more user groups created automatically for each forum, since nobody uses it. Example: If one of my forums is "News", a group called "News users" is automatically created.
9) Why to include (and load, of course) several functions that won't be used in the page that the user is viewing? A good solution to increase speed an memory use is to split functions in several .inc.php files, so that only the necessary functions would be loaded for each page.
10) There should be an option to force "language" and "time zone" in the users' profile, configured by the ACP.
11) A portal system would be nice too.
12) There should be support for reCAPTCHA (an optional feature, of course).
13) There should be an option in the UCP to automatically mark as unread edited topics.
14) It's not a bad idea to have a native support for making possible to have many forums with a single user table.
What do you think about it, guys?
Can a phpBB team member tell me if they are possible?

ToonArmy

Re: Many minor issues

Post by ToonArmy »

Enom wrote:1) There should be native Skype and Google Talk fields in the profile.
Custom profile fields will probably become much more powerful.
Enom wrote:5) The "Save" button in the post screen is useless.
How so? I admit I don't use it.
Enom wrote:6) Post views should not be incremented by spider engines (bots) anymore.
Fixed this in 3.0.3 ;)
Enom wrote:7) The forum permissions should be made easyer to configure. Actually it's very confusing and workfull.
This is a side effect of them being so powerful, we will probably revisit the GUI.
Enom wrote:8) There should be no more user groups created automatically for each forum, since nobody uses it. Example: If one of my forums is "News", a group called "News users" is automatically created.
Err... no its not.
Enom wrote:9) Why to include (and load, of course) several functions that won't be used in the page that the user is viewing? A good solution to increase speed an memory use is to split functions in several .inc.php files, so that only the necessary functions would be loaded for each page.
We will be addressing the huge functions.php files and others ;)
Enom wrote:10) There should be an option to force "language" and "time zone" in the users' profile, configured by the ACP.
We might make some changes in this department.
Enom wrote:11) A portal system would be nice too.
This is a forum not CMS ;)
Enom wrote:12) There should be support for reCAPTCHA (an optional feature, of course).
Already done, see the blog.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

Enom

Post by Enom »

Thanks for the fast replyes!
Just about number 8, I don't know if I could explain it well, so I'll post an image here:
It's in portuguese, so I'll post the translation here:
GRUPO -> GROUP
OPÇÕES -> OPTIONS
AÇÃO -> ACTION
Configurações -> Configs
Membros -> Members
It can be found in "Manage groups", in ACP. These groups are useless.
I'm using the latest version.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

Once installed phpBB does not create any groups without you asking it ;)

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

That looks like you installed some strange MOD :shock:

Enom

Post by Enom »

I haven't installed any mod and I'm the only admin. :shock:
It's kind of strange...

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

Enom wrote:I haven't installed any mod and I'm the only admin. :shock:
It's kind of strange...
Could you raise the issue on the support forums, I would be most interested in seeing what is causing this. Feel free to PM me with a link to the topic you have started. Be sure to fill out the SRT. Thanks

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

ToonArmy wrote:Custom profile fields will probably become much more powerful.
Does this mean that we can use basic stuff now that i.m.o. should have been included from the get-go?

Code: Select all

$tpl_fields['blockrow'][] = array(
            'PROFILE_FIELD_OPTIONID'   => $optionid, // This is very handy for templates using the optionid as short value variable to include in the template.
            'PROFILE_FIELD_VALUE'   => $value,
            'PROFILE_FIELD_TYPE'   => $ident_ary['data']['field_type'],
            'PROFILE_FIELD_NAME'   => $ident_ary['data']['lang_name'],
            'PROFILE_FIELD_EXPLAIN'   => $ident_ary['data']['lang_explain'],

'S_PROFILE_' . strtoupper($ident)      => true
         );
The reason I'm so keep on using this of course is my mods depend on it A LOT, and my own solution can hardly be described as elegant (although it works 100%). I can post it if necessary.