forums permissions interface needs work

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
alreadyinuse

forums permissions interface needs work

Post by alreadyinuse »

Hi,

Sorry to be so blunt.

On the page where it lets you add/remove permissions for users/groups... or is it add/remove users/groups for permissions... or... what... in ... the hell??

this page:

Forum permissions

Here you can alter which users and groups can access which forums. To assign moderators or define administrators please use the appropriate page.

Forums: Test Chat Board
Users
Manage users
Add users
Groups
Manage groups
Add groups

Yeah I get it now. I get it. But trust me... this is hell of confusing for the average user. I'm A+ certified, (which ain't a hard cert to get, I know) and I have 7 years experience doing tech support and installs on all kinds of systems. I've messed with permissions on unix, NT, and OS9, but damn, this page had me confused. There is nothing to indicate that the bots or the guests are jumping up and down from the little window on top to the little window on the bottom, or vise-versa, as you press the remove / add permissions button. The remove permissions button is smack dab in the middle of the two windows. It only applies to the top window. So don't put it equidistant from the bottom window. Don't. Put. It. There. Remove Permissions is on the left. Add Permissions is on the right. These buttons jump you to a new page that doesn't show you the results of what you've just done. You need one button on this page to save the changes, and the add and remove buttons need to just just move the little groups around. You know, so people can have a visual representation of what they are about to do. So they can move stuff around to get it how they like it without having to control-click while they right click and press num-lock and whatever else all at the same time. Having the add/remove button just jump the user to a new page is like having the shift button screw your keyboard over if you hold it down for 10 seconds. Sometime you just wan to do that because you're thinking. It's the digital equivalent to scribbling. try it. hold your shift key down for ten seconds. If you have to reboot your computer as a result, then you're using windows. Which would explain this GUI.