one of my pet peeve, url bbcode et al

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
sectionw

one of my pet peeve, url bbcode et al

Post by sectionw »

Just a simple thing, when using in the edit window the url button have a popup dialog that ask the url and text to be showned, it would make it easier for people to enter a text for a link, instead of having to enter = the url manually.

darcie
Community Team
Community Team

Re: one of my pet peeve, url bbcode et al

Post by darcie »

IMHO, I dislike editors that force me to do this. I think the phpBB URL code is more flexible as it is. You can use it on a link,

Code: Select all

[url]http://www.google.com[/url]
or you can make text into a link.

[url=http://www.google.com]Google[/url]
And the easiest way I find to do that is to type my text, highlight it, and click the button to surround with tags. Then I usually copy/paste the link into the tag. Perhaps it would make sense if you added a WYSIWYG editor MOD to the posting to have a pop-up URL enter window. But I think the button as it stands is more in keeping with the rest of the BBCodes and the concept of a less bloated system.

sectionw

Post by sectionw »

I know exactly the technique to do so, and to me that is precisely what makes it harder for newbies on my forums, to each his own, if you cannot see that this is more for techie inclined when no online hint is given to write this way or the like, then we are talking on different planes.

darcie
Community Team
Community Team

Post by darcie »

I understand what you mean. Writing in BBCode is more techie than a WYSIWYG type posting screen. FYI, though there is a guide on BBCodes while in the posting screen. "BBCode is ON" does have a link to take you to a help screen. I was a newbie to forums not all that long ago, and I learned how by following the same thing in phpBB2. :)

sectionw

Post by sectionw »

Ok lets remove the buttons for img, url etc etc and lets put a link on the how to of bbcode, since adding anything is just too much :roll:
All i suggest is a simpler way in bbcode to enter tags that have [ code =] type of code, having a pop up to fill the text between the brakets and the value set for the tag, to me that is on par with the buttons on top, and it is not a wysiwyg interface.

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

If you want something like that, then just add it to your style or wait for a style doing it that way. It's nothing we'll do in the default styles, but it is easy to add.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

RexDiamond

Post by RexDiamond »

Kellanved wrote:If you want something like that, then just add it to your style or wait for a style doing it that way. It's nothing we'll do in the default styles, but it is easy to add.
Why anyone likes how the URL function works is beyond me. I am in the same boat as the author. It's the same thing, over and over when you try and search for something on these forums and you get no one telling you how to do it. Just IT-like remarks from people assuming everyone is a PHP html genius.

He knows it can be done. We can see it being done on other forums. Tell us how. In terms we can all understand. Please.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

You're asking in the wrong place. Your question is better asked at phpBB.com/community where others are able to take a look at your question and assist.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Instead of replacing the current button, there could be a second "URL=" button added that has the desired affect. This way we aren't replacing the original way of doing that most phpBB users are already used to, but we can accommodate the needs of users who aren't.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

I think this idea is not of the best, because personally, I hate sites pop-uping javascript's alert - it prevents from selecting text on current page (at least on current page); however, it would not be the worst idea to partially change parsing of this BBCode, so that

[url=]http://google.com[/url]
will be parsed normally. Thus, url BBCode would include that "=" automatically when inserted, but would not need to be used (currently, parser will delete it, when posted, or previewed).

It means:
  1. changing of JS for "url" BBCode, so that it would insert:

[url=][/url]
    instead of

[url][/url]
  2. changing of php parser, so that it would not delete it, when place after "=" is blank.