Some features would be nice

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
user99

Some features would be nice

Post by user99 »

Not sure, of following, if some are already possible in RC7 (if they are, help me then)

(1) Enable PM only between admin and members, while, member can't PM to each other.

(2) Member list should be public, so as "Find a Member" search screen

(3) "Find a Member" should include custom profile fields, for searching.

(4) Member's first login page, and subsequent login page should be definable by admin.

(5) BBCode to display external website as embedded inside as message. (For e.g., if would like to display printable version of Wikipedia article inside your topic, just by giving its URL)

(6) To be able to remove "Language" and "Time Zone" selection from "New Registration" page.

(7) "MS Excel pivot chart" like summary for all Polls within a given forum.

(8) Automatic message posting mechanism in certain cases? For e.g., a forum where all members are introduced, i.e. a new topic (containing all member details) is generated each time a user is registered. Further, it should be in sync if user details are updated.

(9) Members are able to send e-mail directly to other members, with or without exposing e-mail address!

(10) ... and a portal :)

MAKE YOUR WISH :)

Nicholas the Italian

Re: Some features would be nice

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

1) and 9), I agree with.
2), can't you do it via permissions?
3), I guess it could be done, yes.
4), not sure what you mean: registration? I that case I agree.
5), I think you could do it, e.g. inserting an iframe linked to that page.
6), as most board run in one nation only it would be good if timezone and localization were manageable from ACP for all users; for example, I hate to have to go to the database and switch DST off for all of my users. :x
7), MS Excel is proprietary, although I guess could be done with CSV as well. Not a priority I think.
8), definitely non-standard, although some kind of customisable "welcome message" might be good.
10), that's not phpBB. :)

11) An official Rules page with links all over the board.
12) Some kind of "quick help", like [?] links for each options (especially in the ACP).
13) Login-to-ACP page with default ACP style, not customized one (so we cannot have those after-RC6 login problems).
14) Permissions for each BBCode (so that some are only shown/available to admins/mods).
15) I'll think about it :P

user99

Post by user99 »

(2) Member list should be public, so as "Find a Member" search screen

Nicholas -> I couldn't figure out a way for this. Did you manage to find?

(3) "Find a Member" should include custom profile fields, for searching.

Does any MOD exist for this :)

Another wish would be

16) Able to display avatars in "Find a Member / Member List", and be able to select multiple users to send a common message (may be argued but anti-Spam pro)

17) Privacy Settings by each user based on "Custom Profile Fields", so as to filter, who can PM and who not.

18) Member's can password protect your own attachments, so that can share this "view" password with specific users only.

19) Save predefined "Find a Member" criteria.

20) Restrict "profile details" to be shared with select users only, for e.g., only if added in "Friends" list or something similar.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

user99 wrote:Nicholas -> I couldn't figure out a way for this. Did you manage to find?
Permissions > Groups > Guests > Profile > Can see profiles, memberlist and who's online
These things are grouped into one option (as of RC1), but I think it does what you want.

16), I think it's mainly a matter of style.
18), I think it's against the principle of public forum.

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

9 ) is already there; a few others can be done with permissions and template tweaks. A few are impossible or pose security risks. For the remaining I would expect MODs to turn up.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

HawkDawg

Post by HawkDawg »

I just upgraded from 2.022 to RC7 and I like the new software. The CP sure does add a lot of extra features.
I was hoping to see the ability of automatically deleting new registrants that don't make a post after a certain numbers of days after registration, but maybe that will be in a future version.
Right now I do it manually on another phpBB board I run, still running 2.021 (the board I upgraded is pretty much just a test forum).
Thanks for all the hard work folks. :D
HawkDawg 8-)

Thatbitextra
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra »

HawkDawg wrote:I just upgraded from 2.022 to RC7 and I like the new software. The CP sure does add a lot of extra features.
I was hoping to see the ability of automatically deleting new registrants that don't make a post after a certain numbers of days after registration, but maybe that will be in a future version.
Right now I do it manually on another phpBB board I run, still running 2.021 (the board I upgraded is pretty much just a test forum).
Thanks for all the hard work folks. :D
You can do pretty much everything else but. ACP -> Users and Groups tab -> User security -> Prune users.
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)

HawkDawg

Post by HawkDawg »

Yep! I noticed that. It's that 'but' that I was hoping for. :lol:

I've been doing it manually so I guess that will work for now. I'll keep it in mind though for when they start taking requests again. ;)

I was able to get the profile over to the left in the prosilver. I like that better. 'Course i had to change the 'online' image to fit. I made it vertical instead of angled at 45 degrees.

link removed
Last edited by stickerboy on Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam link removed: cherokee red
HawkDawg 8-)

Bapf

Post by Bapf »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:6), as most board run in one nation only it would be good if timezone and localization were manageable from ACP for all users; for example, I hate to have to go to the database and switch DST off for all of my users. :x
I have the same problem here.

A good solution in my eyes would be a third option in the UCP (besides the "yes" and "no") like "inherit global setting".

NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

One thing that I would like to see the end of is the page saying you have successfully logged in. I know its a little thing but it bugs me!! Its a pointless page!

It would have been nice if some of the mods that were made for phpBB2 had been added as they were so popular. Things like who has been on today and the 7 day birthday warning. I know the mods have been done again now for phpBB3 but it would have been nice if they were added to the new version as standard.

Also, how about another official style or two, proSilver is great and it would be good to see what else the official styles team can come up with
"Life Is What Happens To You When You Are Busy Making Other Plans" - John Lennon