Comments about 'permissions' that helped me

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Gideon5L2F

Comments about 'permissions' that helped me

Post by Gideon5L2F »

Here are a selection of quotes taken from this thread that I found really helpful. I've abbreviated and compiled them here in case its a help to anyone else. :idea:
dhn wrote:User and mod permissions you set in the group and user permissions are GLOBAL. Permissions you set on a forum are LOCAL ...
pentapenguin wrote:Roles are basically just presets for permissions ...
Handyman wrote:... don't try to set permissions for a single users ... thats a real hassle if you have to do more than one ... it's better to create new groups and set permissions for them and put people into groups accordingly.
The Grinch wrote:You could go as far as to create a downgrading user group to punish users for being bad (instead of banning the trolls, just make life miserable). You could create a User Group called "On Probation" and stick a bunch of Never's in the permissions. When you add them to that group, they loose access to whatever you defined for that group. It's neat. :)
Lastof wrote:If it is their default group, and they don't have permission to change their default group, they can't leave it. If they try, they get the message "You are not allowed to resign from your default group.".
Acyd Burn wrote:
Forum Permissions > A specific forum > A specific group (like Guests) = No role assigned
The "no role assigned" option is for the admin to specify individual permissions not tied to a role - here the individual permissions are accessible if you click the "Advanced" link. Therefore, "no role assigned" does not mean the group is having no access; it only means that either there are no permissions set or custom permissions applied.