How to upgrade from MySQL to MySQLi database....

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
izham

How to upgrade from MySQL to MySQLi database....

Post by izham » Sat May 26, 2007 11:02 am

:greetings:

hi. i've post this request support at phpbb.com comunnity forum but seems it doesnt brought any attention to it. so, hopefully at here, i;ll get your support, please.

i need kinda guide to help me upgrade my phpBB 3 forum to use MySQLi .. during installation, i choose to use MySQL because at that time mySQL version still not upgraded to 5.x.. but recently, my host server listen to my request to upgrade their mySQL version. since mySQL 5 supporting MySQLi extension, thus, i really hope to use my forum on that base..

as far as i know, i only need to change phpbb config.php ( which can be found at /{root} ) by replacing the following statement:

Code: Select all

$dbms = 'mysql'; ------ to this -----> $dbms = 'mysqli';
the question is, do i need to do anything else? because i'm not so sure if there's anything else must be done in order to make the upgrade successful.

thats all. thanks in advance for those who help ...

jojobarjo32

Re: How to upgrade from MySQL to MySQLi database....

Post by jojobarjo32 » Sun May 27, 2007 11:51 am

It depends on what version of MySQL you had...
If it was 4.1.3 or greater, then you only need to add the "i" in the config.php file :) (by the way, mysqli works perfectly with those versions of MySQL)
If it was lower than 4.1.3, it's more difficult because the schema is different.
I think (note that I am not sure at all...) that the easiest way is :
  • Backup your data (not the structure, only the data).
  • Delete all the tables.
  • Change phpbb_ everywhere in the install/schemas/mysql_41.sql file with your own prefix then load it with PhpMyAdmin for example.
  • Restore your data (and of course change the $dbms var in config.php ;))