Refresh Captcha?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Octopus

Refresh Captcha?

Post by Octopus »

Is there an option for the user to refresh the captcha if it is not readable?
If not - what do you think about this idea :?:

ChrisRLG

Re: Refresh Captcha?

Post by ChrisRLG »

they can use the browser refresh if nothing else :)

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

Octopus wrote:what do you think about this idea :?:
It would help bots.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

friendly-art

Post by friendly-art »

Kellanved wrote:It would help bots.
A smart way IMHO would be to leave the decision on this balance to admins. I mean to make the number of retries customizable from 1 (current setting) to n. I would set this to 3-5 on my board. On the other hand nothing stops the bot to refresh the whole page while it is not so comfortable to humans, right?

DaHiA

Post by DaHiA »

friendly-art wrote: leave the decision on this balance to admins. I mean to make the number of retries customizable from 1 (current setting) to n. I would set this to 3-5 on my board. On the other hand nothing stops the bot to refresh the whole page while it is not so comfortable to humans, right?
Right.

Black Antitoon

Post by Black Antitoon »

friendly-art wrote:
Kellanved wrote:It would help bots.
A smart way IMHO would be to leave the decision on this balance to admins. I mean to make the number of retries customizable from 1 (current setting) to n. I would set this to 3-5 on my board. On the other hand nothing stops the bot to refresh the whole page while it is not so comfortable to humans, right?
Left.

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

Wrong. The number of attempts is configurable; reloads count as failed attempts.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

dunnma

Post by dunnma »

So the decision on this was that we don't care about a users experience and we want them to have to refresh the page - potentially losing their entered information, and receiving that annoying re-post browser message?

There should be a compromise that would allow a user to refresh the image, but only every x seconds, and possibly with a maximum number of refresh attempts.

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

No, the user can submit, which will leave the entered information mostly intact. If you offer a way to render a new CAPTCHA with the same solution, you might just as well disable CAPTCHAs alltogether - it's the same result.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

friendly-art

Post by friendly-art »

An AJAX-based reload button would be nice. The solution of course should be changed too.