More powerful attachment management?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
VinDuv

Re: More powerful attachment management?

Post by VinDuv »

I think it could be simpler to create one directory for each user id... No need to have the attachment date.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

VinDuv wrote: I think it could be simpler to create one directory for each user id... No need to have the attachment date.

wow… you could be looking at a ton of directories.
Maybe put 100 users per directory or something like that.
That could be done.

But 1 user per directory… you could be looking at thousands of directories… and in some cases, hundreds of thousands.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

mikovchain

Post by mikovchain »

VinDuv wrote: I think it could be simpler to create one directory for each user id... No need to have the attachment date.

It would be easier to calculate the disk quota if storing files according username, and current function body won't be changed too much ...
We only assign folders to the users who have attached files, so that the number of folders won't be too large.

But there may be other problems, how about a unicode username? I don't know whether php will translate the username to the string such as "Ӓ" or sth others. Maybe it will be in conflict with the file system.
PHPBB CHINA For Chinese Users

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

mikovchain wrote: But there may be other problems, how about a unicode username? I don't know whether php will translate the username to the string such as "Ӓ" or sth others. Maybe it will be in conflict with the file system.

Use user id.

mikovchain

Post by mikovchain »

Nicholas the Italian wrote: Use user id.

Great... :D

houser

Post by houser »

I have been thinking for along time about something like this:

Every forum or sub-forum has it's own (auto-created by a new mod)
ftp directory, where all the files are accessible via ftp also, as well as from within phpbb3.
Permissions same as within phpbb3. User and pw also.
Each phpbb3 user automagically gets ftp access to the directories that correspond to
their permissions for the matching forum.

All handled by the mod. I would like to use standard ftp server software on the other end.

Other similar projects out there?
Obvious reasons to give it up?
best
jtm

ChrisRLG

Post by ChrisRLG »

Do not see how that would work.

You are talking about two different structures.

The forums can be controlled by passwords etc sure.

But any folders created on the server - to enable password access - would need to be created within the servers OP system - not within phpBB.

Cannot see how they can be created by any phpBB script. If they could they sure are never seeing the light of day on my server. The security implications - no never.

-CC-

Post by -CC- »

Anyway placing the attachments in different directories for each forum (attachments/forum_1 etc.) would probably make sence and solve the problem addressed in this topic.

houser

Post by houser »

Hmm,

I might be missing something obvious...but to me it is the same structure...
as our phpbb installation runs on a server that allows ftp access to everything already
the only difference would be that the permissions would be synched by the phpbb mod.
I can already do all this manually...

best
jtm

ChrisRLG wrote: Do not see how that would work.

You are talking about two different structures.

The forums can be controlled by passwords etc sure.

But any folders created on the server - to enable password access - would need to be created within the servers OP system - not within phpBB.

Cannot see how they can be created by any phpBB script. If they could they sure are never seeing the light of day on my server. The security implications - no never.

mikovchain

Post by mikovchain »

I have worked out a solution for it, more than half a year ago. the attaches will be stored in sub folders by month or date.
http://www.phpbbchina.com/forum/viewtop ... =23&t=3337
However... it seems no English speaking people have interests in it, so I haven't translated yet.

Let me know if someone want it.
PHPBB CHINA For Chinese Users