mass email...where?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
asinshesq

mass email...where?

Post by asinshesq »

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious, but where does the admin access the mass email feature? Is there a setting that needs to be turned on so that the admin can access that feature?
Alan

Chudz

Re: mass email...where?

Post by Chudz »

yeah i cant find this either? would be nice to have it back or a newsletter or somthing like that.

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

There's still a file for mass email in the package...if I don't get an answer I'll try to reverse engineer it and see how that file gets called. I'm sure it's something really obvious and dumb on my part that I'm missing.
Alan

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

ACP->SYSTEM->MASS EMAIL ;)
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Handyman wrote: ACP->SYSTEM->MASS EMAIL ;)

That was the first place I tried. The only options I see there are to 'check for updates' and to 'manage report/denial reason'. I can't find anything relevant in the ACP general tab either. Any more detailed hint? Perhaps I need to turn it on first?
Alan

drewtscott

Post by drewtscott »

asinshesq wrote:

That was the first place I tried. The only options I see there are to 'check for updates' and to 'manage report/denial reason'. I can't find anything relevant in the ACP general tab either. Any more detailed hint? Perhaps I need to turn it on first?

Are you set as a founder? I have it on mine ...

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

drewtscott wrote:
asinshesq wrote:

Are you set as a founder? I have it on mine ...

Aha, that was the problem. I just assumed that being a regular admin would by default give me all options. I've now set myself as a founder and I see the mass email feature in system like you all said. I assume I could have given all admins that permission if I had figured out that was the problem before, right?

Too bad mass email doesn't allow you to select multiple groups...I guess that will be one of the mods I do if I get around to it.

Does mass email chunk the emails into batches to deal with ISPs that limit the number of addressees on a single email?
Alan

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

asinshesq wrote: Does mass email chunk the emails into batches to deal with ISPs that limit the number of addressees on a single email?

To answer my own question, I just looked at the code and found out that yes, it chunks the emails into batches that by default are no more than 50 per email.
Alan

Chudz

Post by Chudz »

When I try to send a Mass Email it says Internal Error could this be somthing to do with the settings somewhere?

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Chudz wrote: When I try to send a Mass Email it says Internal Error could this be somthing to do with the settings somewhere?

There have been some problems with it in the past, though I thought they had all been fixed.
Make sure your username and password for outgoing mail is set correctly in the ACP (php sendmail function doesn't do well sending a lot of emails)
so you would also want to make sure you have selected to use a mail server instead of the php mail function.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply