phpBB 3.2

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Otra

Re: phpBB 3.2

Post by Otra »

Telling someone, in this kind of case, to let go is basically saying "I don't care, shaddup." That will only annoy someone and make them want to continue. That's not meant to be insulting, it's just a fact.

I don't have any idea how many phpBB systems are in use right now, nor do I know how many people want the QR box, so I won't comment on statistics All I know is that, from lurking around here, is that people really seem to want it. At least an unknown number do. I can also guarantee a lot of people don't know about modding a forum or even where to get the mods (and maybe they don't even know these mods exist), and a bunch probably don't want to deal. Once you remove all those, I'm sure the percentage of people who want QR are higher.

And this will likely sound rude, so I apologize in advance (seriously, not being sarcastic). I still, and always will, say that they should be listening to the people using their system. Up until the software went into a feature lock, you were allowed to request features, right? If a lot of these requests were for a QR Box, I don't think it's right to brush it off and say you don't want it because you don't believe in it.

There are some decent replies to me, but most are jumping on my back and basically telling me the same thing over and over. I understand, so please, move on to a different way to jump on my back perhaps? That's the point of disagreeing, and saying it over and over is not going to change my opinion. I'm not being rude, I'm not yelling, and I'm not treating anyone with anything but respect. I request the same towards me, with the understanding that repeating the same thing over and over to me is treating me like a 5 year old. This is my opinion, and I am allowed to have it as you are to have yours.

I don't feel it's them just making the forum software, and then simply letting people have it. If that were true, they would not have allowed feature requests. It's obvious they care what people want, yet refuse this. The book analogy doesn't work for me. If someone publishes it on the web, without anything to keep people away (password, friends only, what have you), they want someone to read it.

I've expressed gratitude for what we have, as well as honest love for this software and what it's capable of. I just don't understand how they can say they don't believe it makes a forum what they want, then allow a mod for it to exist on their home page to makes the forum what they don't want it to be. I don't think it makes a system a chat, I think it makes it easier for users to reply. To me, it's a fundamental part of any forum, and when V3 is out of beta and on the market normally, I'll install it and the QR mod as well.

Again: This is my opinion. I am allowed to have an opinion, and I will repeat mine as much as everyone else keeps repeating theirs.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Otra wrote: Telling someone, in this kind of case, to let go is basically saying "I don't care, shaddup." That will only annoy someone and make them want to continue. That's not meant to be insulting, it's just a fact.

Thanks for pointing out this.
If a lot of these requests were for a QR Box, I don't think it's right to brush it off and say you don't want it because you don't believe in it.

I was told that there weren't that many requests for QR when requests were allowed. Of course I'm not aware of the exact numbers, nor I know what they mean with "many" or "enough".
I do know, as you, that devs don't like this kind of stuff especially because it would turn a forum into something similar to a chatroom. They let this be a MOD since this software is open-source, customiszszable and editable by everyone, and there's really no reason to stop users from turning their boards into chatrooms, if they wish - they just don't want to provide a chatroom thingy as their default package.
Now, we can agree or disagree with this point of view, but, once each other's opinions are made clear, all this doesn't change the basic point: devs are still the ones who take the final decisions, and of course they can't make everyone happy, so they just stick to what they find the most sensical balance between what they want and what the "community" (quite a vague concept) asks for.
You'd like QR built in phpBB? Well, this doesn't change a thing :) , phpBB 3.0 will be what will be, 3.2 won't probably (AFAIK) include QR either, for 3.4 who knows, let's hope they change their mind or build an easier method for customi_ing their product, if they don't and you really bother you'll still have plenty of mods at your disposal.
There are some decent replies to me, but most are jumping on my back and basically telling me the same thing over and over.

I suppose that's mainly because this kind of discussions iterate over and over. After the 500th time it turns out to be a bit boring. :P
Again: This is my opinion. I am allowed to have an opinion, and I will repeat mine as much as everyone else keeps repeating theirs.

Yep, so contributing with our waste of words to the rise of entropy. ;)

Synaptic Anarchy

Post by Synaptic Anarchy »

Highway of Life wrote: Last I heard (and remember) they were not going to open up the feature requests until 3.4
Although it was not a definite answer, it's the best guess we have at the moment.

The system I really look forward to seeing is the cron system, other than that, everything else can be a MOD.

I'd like proper BBcode handling, myself.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

What kind of flamebait is this..? If you're going to accuse the current BBcode handling of being improper, at least provide some kind of motivation.

marosell

Post by marosell »

"flamebait" haha, i love that. i will use that in the future.

i have two cents i'd like to share, though one is reserved specifically for nicholas: "i couldn't have said it better myself".

QR isn't the first popular mod to be asked to be in the vanilla software; take the friend/foe and attachment features for example. Its a simple fact that there are popular mods that can be a pain in the ass for people who don't know much about programming to set up. This is especially true if it's the only mod they plan on ever installing, though many of us that are good with code take it for granted.

And absolutely nothing grinds against one's OCD when there's code inserted that feels like it shouldn't be there. I sympathize with the fact that boards shouldn't be chat rooms (I would never install QR) and also to the fact that vanilla software should be "light". However, for common mods (or any mods for that matter), the nicest and easiest solution for the end user would be a modular mod-system. The whole board could be kept light and mods could be easily downloaded, installed, updated, removed, etc.

And if nothing else brings this dream a tad-bit closer arriving one day, it's the new kick-ass ACP. 8)

Nicholas the Italian

marosell wrote: i have two cents i'd like to share, though one is reserved specifically for nicholas: "i couldn't have said it better myself".

Eheh, thanks. 8)

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Nicholas' sig wrote: There is a myth that if we were really good at programming, there would be no bugs to catch. Therefore, testing and test case design is an admission of failure, which instills a goodly dose of guilt. Guilt for what? For failing to achieve inhuman perfection? For not distinguishing between what another programmer thinks and what he says? For failing to be telepathic? For not solving human communication problems that have been kicked around... for forty centuries?" (Beizer, 1990)

Aw, man, what happened to the tip to get a new screen? It worked every time and I can't remember it :cry:

Nicholas the Italian

Eelke wrote: Aw, man, what happened to the tip to get a new screen? It worked every time and I can't remember it :cry:

Eh, I thought it was the time to be a bit serious, so I reported this thing I read in Pressman's Software Engineering book (I was undecided between this one and one that basically said that SEs are sick asocial alienated creatures, but I thought this one fits better).
Anyway, for the record, it was: Hammer a nail here (*) to get a new screen. ;) (Don't even know if it actually works in english, I translated it from italian.)
Are you ok now? :P

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

What I see a need for in phpBB 3.2 is better tools for moderators - easier moderation of threads from inside them (no messing with the pesky MCP), soft-deletion of posts, better warning system with customizable warning types and expiration times, and so on.

Also, shinier administrative tools would be nice. I love the template editor, and I'm guessing I'll love it more when prosilver is the template I'm editing (die, tables, die). Making permissions more intuitive (or at least updating their descriptions so people can work it all out) would be nice, as well as inline links to documentation on phpbb.com.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

It was stated that soft delete would be a part of 3.2

The Quick-mod tools are meant to help moderators in that case. It’s pretty fast and just short of in-line moderation.