New permissions screen discussion..

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
poyntesm

Re: New permissions screen discussion..

Post by poyntesm »

Not sure on how easy it would be for you but did you consider the following..
suggested_permissions_screen.png
suggested_permissions_screen.png (58.46 KiB) Viewed 8916 times
First four are the normal ones. All yes, all no, all never, mixture.

The fifth is a suggest enhancement for the mixed one. It allows you see at a glance what the mix is. Since the colours are there to give a visual aid I feel this would be a great addition to a already great layout.

dhn

Post by dhn »

poyntesm wrote: The fifth is a suggest enhancement for the mixed one. It allows you see at a glance what the mix is. Since the colours are there to give a visual aid I feel this would be a great addition to a already great layout.

I had that discussion with some team members but I feel that if you go beyond the four colours that it gets too confusing. Just imagine having mixed selections on every tab - in your way you would even need a button with three colours.

What I am considering is to don't show the mixed button when no and never are mixed. That is not really needed.

_Kilian_

Post by _Kilian_ »

:mrgreen: looks great :mrgreen:

drf

Post by drf »

great job as always dhn! Now I'll be spending the day setting up permissons :lol: :mrgreen:
Anon wrote: the phpBB team takes no responsibility for any damage, emotional, physical, spiritual or otherwise

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Hey dhn,
You've done a fabulous job with those... I was pleasantly surprised to see you changed the look there.
I'm with you on the four colours, that would look better than mixed colours, IMO.

agent00shoe

Post by agent00shoe »

I just checked out the latest CVS and this new style looks nicer and less cluttered. I also like how the permanent groups are bold instead of orange. When they were colored they looked highlighted already and it was confusing in the beginning.

dhn

Post by dhn »

agent00shoe wrote: I just checked out the latest CVS and this new style looks nicer and less cluttered. I also like how the permanent groups are bold instead of orange. When they were colored they looked highlighted already and it was confusing in the beginning.

Yah, that was the point of changing it. I was actually pretty surprised that no one really complained about it openly. I guess I am saying, you should complain more (please don't). :)

Tienchen

Post by Tienchen »

Hello dhn!
Well, my supported bug #7122 has been much more than fixed with the new system. Very good!
But I have one remark as (usual): When I edit the, lets say, "Moderation permissions", and after that the "User permissions", only the "User p." are being saved. It is a bit complicated when editing all three kinds of permissions, e.g. when editing a single user you have to type his name three times. Would be very nice if this small, little thing could be fixed.
Should I report this as a "bug"?

But- very, very cool!!! :D
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden

dhn

Post by dhn »

Tienchen wrote: When I edit the, lets say, "Moderation permissions", and after that the "User permissions", only the "User p." are being saved. It is a bit complicated when editing all three kinds of permissions, e.g. when editing a single user you have to type his name three times. Would be very nice if this small, little thing could be fixed.

Unfortunately, this is how the system works currently. That would be up to the developers to look into.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

dhn wrote:
Tienchen wrote: When I edit the, lets say, "Moderation permissions", and after that the "User permissions", only the "User p." are being saved. It is a bit complicated when editing all three kinds of permissions, e.g. when editing a single user you have to type his name three times. Would be very nice if this small, little thing could be fixed.

Unfortunately, this is how the system works currently. That would be up to the developers to look into.

Could you create a link that edits the permission you just finished editing?
Like when you are managing users, when you hit submit and click the link on the confirmation page, it takes you back to managing that users... would that be a consideration?
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply