New permissions screen discussion..

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Tienchen

Re: New permissions screen discussion..

Post by Tienchen »

Of course the best would be to solve it with Ajax (or similar). Then you click on the submit button on one of the permission masks, and don't have to use a confirmation page etc because you stay on the same page. :D
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Tienchen wrote: Of course the best would be to solve it with Ajax (or similar). Then you click on the submit button on one of the permission masks, and don't have to use a confirmation page etc because you stay on the same page. :D

Though as mentioned in another thread, AJAX doesn't work with all version of browsers, so a solution is needed that will work for everybody.
I personally would have no problem with it as all my browsers support AJAX, but for some people, that would mean that they would have to run FireFox or upgrade their system software.
It would be easy if everybody just ran Firefox :)
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Handyman wrote: Could you create a link that edits the permission you just finished editing?
Like when you are managing users, when you hit submit and click the link on the confirmation page, it takes you back to managing that users... would that be a consideration?

Yes this is a gripe of mine too, as it's most "obvious" when using the "Permissions" drop-down having gotten into the ACP via the "Administrate user" link in their public viewprofile page (all other drop down options work as expected post confirmation page, for example).

You're welcome to bug report it, though please be very clear on current behaviour and ideal behaviour... good clear bug reports that don't need additional information to be extracted have higher chance of being considered for fixing.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

SHS` wrote:
Handyman wrote: Could you create a link that edits the permission you just finished editing?
Like when you are managing users, when you hit submit and click the link on the confirmation page, it takes you back to managing that users... would that be a consideration?

Yes this is a gripe of mine too, as it's most "obvious" when using the "Permissions" drop-down having gotten into the ACP via the "Administrate user" link in their public viewprofile page (all other drop down options work as expected post confirmation page, for example).

You're welcome to bug report it, though please be very clear on current behaviour and ideal behaviour... good clear bug reports that don't need additional information to be extracted have higher chance of being considered for fixing.

Ok... cool.

I'll see what I can do.

Here it is: http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/viewreport.php?b=7260

I tried to put in as much detail as I could think, so I hope it makes a ton of sense.
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat

Tienchen

Post by Tienchen »

Handyman wrote: Though as mentioned in another thread, AJAX doesn't work with all version of browsers, so a solution is needed that will work for everybody.
I personally would have no problem with it as all my browsers support AJAX, but for some people, that would mean that they would have to run FireFox or upgrade their system software.

Well, we have right now the discussion in the CMS Website Baker wheter implement AJAX in the code or not. Of course most competitive software is using it, but you are right, some people like in schools or in authorities/companies (of course private ones too) have too old browsers or deactivated Javascript.
But it has nothing to do with FF- Opera e.g. or IE does the same. There is no need to use FF unless you like it.

But: [offtopic_closed] [topic_continue]
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Tienchen wrote:
Handyman wrote: Though as mentioned in another thread, AJAX doesn't work with all version of browsers, so a solution is needed that will work for everybody.

Well, we have right now the discussion in the CMS Website Baker wheter implement AJAX in the code or not. Of course most competitive software is using it, but you are right, some people like in schools or in authorities/companies (of course private ones too) have too old browsers or deactivated Javascript.
But it has nothing to do with FF- Opera e.g. or IE does the same. There is no need to use FF unless you like it.

But: [offtopic_closed] [topic_continue]

I hope you don't get the wrong idea from that post... I'm all into an AJAX based system.
That would be really awesome for the rest of us.

I would make it if I had more time... but I already have 2 AJAX mods in my queue.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Yes, we seriously need that.

I said the same thing a few months ago and it got shot down as a feature request though. :(

3 things I noticed looking through it quick.

1. What does the check box do under User Permissions by the Username? Once you click Advanced Permissions it gets hidden also...

2. When you go to Advanced Permissions, Advanced Permissions should get switched to saying Simple Permissions(or w/e)

3. There is still no Mass Roles selection in forum permissions. :(
(to have a section on top where you could select 1 role and it would change every section below to that role. It would really help with many forums when you try to setup a new group)
Setting 30-40 sections to any certain role sucks if you have to do it 1 at a time. :(

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

EXreaction wrote:

Yes, we seriously need that.

I said the same thing a few months ago and it got shot down as a feature request though. :(

3 things I noticed looking through it quick.

1. What does the check box do under User Permissions by the Username? Once you click Advanced Permissions it gets hidden also...

2. When you go to Advanced Permissions, Advanced Permissions should get switched to saying Simple Permissions(or w/e)

3. There is still no Mass Roles selection in forum permissions. :(
(to have a section on top where you could select 1 role and it would change every section below to that role. It would really help with many forums when you try to setup a new group)
Setting 30-40 sections to any certain role sucks if you have to do it 1 at a time. :(

Actually it's already in place...
When you select a group of forums... (more than 1 forum)
set the permissions for the first one and check the checkbox for all the rest of the forums that you want to have the same permissions and click the submit button on the first forum.

That will apply those permissions to all the checked forums.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Handyman wrote: Actually it's already in place...
set the permissions for the first one and check the checkbox for all the rest of the forums that you want to have the same permissions and click the submit button on the first forum.

Aha, I see! :mrgreen:

Now all it needs is a "Select All/Deselect All" button for those check boxes(and of course some more info on the page saying how to do that with the permissions, but that will come). :mrgreen:

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

EXreaction wrote:
Handyman wrote: Actually it's already in place...

Aha, I see! :mrgreen:

Now all it needs is a "Select All/Deselect All" button for those check boxes(and of course some more info on the page saying how to do that with the permissions, but that will come). :mrgreen:

The select all/deselect all is already there as well. They are located at the bottom of the page under the check boxes.
Also, they have the instructions posted on that page... that's how I figured it out... though, just like the rest of the permissions system, it takes some getting used to.