The speed increase is astounding

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Gumfuzi

Re: The speed increase is astounding

Post by Gumfuzi »

@HoF: thank you!

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

"HoL" ;)

Anytime.

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

code reader wrote: unfortunately, none of these claims (which may well be all true) is backed up by any real data.

Actually, what people are saying is there is no known instance where caching would not be a benefit. You keep claiming it is possible, yet are not posting the scenario in which it could be tested or discussed. I am sure if you could make a valid case for an instance where caching has a negative impact, the development team would implement a toggle for caching or at least disable it in that situation.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

BondGamer wrote:
code reader wrote: unfortunately, none of these claims (which may well be all true) is backed up by any real data.

Actually, what people are saying is there is no known instance where caching would not be a benefit. You keep claiming it is possible, yet are not posting the scenario in which it could be tested or discussed. I am sure if you could make a valid case for an instance where caching has a negative impact, the development team would implement a toggle for caching or at least disable it in that situation.

The only negative thing I know about cache is it can be hacked... it happened to me when I had a cache mod installed on phpBB2 board, my cache was hacked so when somebody viewed the forums, it would download an executable file to their hard drive.
That was quickly fixed with a cache clear.

Other than that, I can't think of any negatives to caching and I certainly wouldn't live without it because of the speed difference it makes.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Gumfuzi

Post by Gumfuzi »

@HoL: sorry...
(type mismatch)

@topic:
tested the new, converted board beside the actual running board on the same server and it looks quite faster.

i think it should stay fast until there will be some bad coded mods installed...

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

Handyman wrote: The only negative thing I know about cache is it can be hacked... it happened to me when I had a cache mod installed on phpBB2 board, my cache was hacked so when somebody viewed the forums, it would download an executable file to their hard drive.

Other than that, I can't think of any negatives to caching and I certainly wouldn't live without it because of the speed difference it makes.

If an attacker can write files to your cache directory, they can easily write files directly into your templates.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Cap'n Refsmmat wrote:
Handyman wrote: The only negative thing I know about cache is it can be hacked... it happened to me when I had a cache mod installed on phpBB2 board, my cache was hacked so when somebody viewed the forums, it would download an executable file to their hard drive.

If an attacker can write files to your cache directory, they can easily write files directly into your templates.

The templates directory is not chmodded 777.
That is the reason why cache can be written to.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply