The speed increase is astounding

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
BondGamer

The speed increase is astounding

Post by BondGamer »

There is a very noticeable speed difference between phpBB2 and phpBB3. I thought it was just fast here because it is on a dedicated server, but after converting my test forum it is at least 50% faster then it was before. Has anyone done some calculations to figure out the precise percentage of the speed increase? It would be interesting to see.

Lastof

Re: The speed increase is astounding

Post by Lastof »

It should be noted, if nothing has changed recently, area51 is run on the same server as one of the largest forums on the internet (which is run by a team member, and is also, I believe, run on phpBB3).
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Without official knowledge, I don't think this is the case, as I have seen phpBB.com go offline nearly half a dozen times in the last 7 or 8 months alone... while area51 was online... and it had nothing to do with the Apache Server.
I would venture to guess they are on at least separate partitions, hard drives, or altogether another server.

Yes, I noticed a speed difference as well, so I cataloged it.
I don't remember where I put my stats, but it was taking 13-16 seconds to load on an empty cache for the index page of my phpBB2 board, but once converted to phpBB3, it takes only about 3-5 seconds on an empty cache.
Some results may differ, (sounds like a PILL commercial)

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

Someone should break out apachebench.

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

Highway of Life wrote: Without official knowledge, I don't think this is the case, as I have seen phpBB.com go offline nearly half a dozen times in the last 7 or 8 months alone... while area51 was online... and it had nothing to do with the Apache Server.
I would venture to guess they are on at least separate partitions, hard drives, or altogether another server.

Well, different continents would make it difficult to have them on the same server.. :)

Anyway, Lastof wasn't referring to area51 and phpBB.com being on the same server.

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Lastof wrote: It should be noted, if nothing has changed recently, area51 is run on the same server as one of the largest forums on the internet
Yeah... Netherlands is not exactly California. ;)

Is there... another board being run on this server? 8O

Schumi

Post by Schumi »

Lastof meant http://www.bokt.nl ;). Although I don't know if they are realy on the same server - at least area51 and bokt.nl don't have the same IP but this could still mean that they run virtual hosts on the same machine.
"If sharks die, the sea dies" - Andy Cobb, ambassador SHARKPROJECT South Africa

Kokuei

Post by Kokuei »

Schumi wrote: Lastof meant http://www.bokt.nl ;). Although I don't know if they are realy on the same server - at least area51 and bokt.nl don't have the same IP but this could still mean that they run virtual hosts on the same machine.

OMG! Thats one immense board! For us who dont understand NL, whats it about?

[viziouz]

Post by [viziouz] »

Horses

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Holy....

Twenty million posts? Sixty thousand users? And a timing check... 40 posts in 60 seconds?

That's... impressive.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.