The speed increase is astounding

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Rotsblok

Re: The speed increase is astounding

Post by Rotsblok »

[viziouz] wrote: Horses

yup horses and everything that comes near it
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

Martin Blank wrote: Holy....

Twenty million posts? Sixty thousand users? And a timing check... 40 posts in 60 seconds?

That's... impressive.

Not really. If you are on a dedicated server then a forum can handle a couple hundred users online easy with the correct configuration. It is when you get into the thousands of simultaneous online users that becomes the real issue. It also depends on whether you have a well optimized forum with as few load intensive features possible.

Gumfuzi

Post by Gumfuzi »

it would be fine if some can tell, how many simoultanous users a standard phpBB3-board (with the standardfeatures (no add. mods!)) can handle at the same time if they click once per second or whatever, using a (whatever) server system (RAM, CPU, etc.) - but I'm afraid, it will be impossible ;)

(even a factor for e.g. olympus is in standard configuration x times faster than phpBB2) - maybe this ist possible, but i don't think so.

CardsFanInChiTown

Post by CardsFanInChiTown »

I assume the performance improvements are due to caching. Will pbpbb 3.0 will be less CPU intensive but more memory intensive than 2.0?

Thanks in advance.

Supra Dave

Post by Supra Dave »

Same search engine? (wordlist based).. Guess not.

It's faster but not by 50% .. If you've had performance issues with phpBB2 you already needed to start optimizing years ago;
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=135383

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

I had a very slow loading phpBB2 board, so I installed a cache mod which really sped it up... but it still wasn't half as fast as phpBB3.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Gumfuzi

Post by Gumfuzi »

well, i think everyone has to try for themselves, how much it is faster - it depends on too much things.

CardsFanInChiTown

Post by CardsFanInChiTown »

What's the easiest way to test the scalability of 3.0?

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

CardsFanInChiTown wrote: I assume the performance improvements are due to caching. Will pbpbb 3.0 will be less CPU intensive but more memory intensive than 2.0?

Thanks in advance.

Actually, a lot of it is just better code, I think. Caching plays a role, but it's not in-memory caching (although it can be adapted with a module) - the default is file-based SQL caching.

I tried to run apachebench on my local install of Olympus, but this is a laptop, so I don't think it's the best way to test it.

If you have a real server, just run ab on your install of Olympus and see how many requests per second you can manage. Then try phpBB2.

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

I'll have to have a word to see if can get someone to try Apache-bench on various server setups. However, this might be eye opener, with me having had a dig around on archive.org on a now dead phpBB I used to run, and had incarnations running phpBB 1.2.x, 1.4.x, 2.0.x and now testing 3.x (converted from 2.0.x obviously) on exactly the same hardware configuration (Dual Pentium III-S 1.26 GHz, 1.5GiB RAM & 2x 60GB HDDs in RAID1):

phpBB1.4.x (vanilla) = index.php in ~0.070 seconds
phpBB2.0.0-ish (without template cache) => index.php in ~0.500 seconds
phpBB2.0.5-ish (with template cache) => index.php in ~0.250 seconds
phpBB3.0 CVS (vanilla) => index in ~0.080 seconds
phpBB3.0 CVS (with eAccelerator) => index.php in ~0.016 seconds :mrgreen: 8)
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way